American Legion of Honor. Organized and incorporated in Massachusetts in 1878. The Grand Council of California was instituted August 8, 1881. Grand Secretary's office, 46 St. Ann's Building, 6 Eddy street. Twelve hundred Councils were located throughout the United States and Canada, with a membership of sixty-three thousand. There were seventy-two subordinate Councils under the jurisdiction of the Grand Council. Local Councils included: Golden, Alta, Myrtle, California, Bohemian, San Francisco, Washington, Occident, Golden West, Golden Star, Protection, Metropolis, Mystic, Golden Shore, Phoenix and Enterprise. Object was to give aid and protection to members' families or other beneficiaries.
Ancient Order of Foresters of America. Organized in Minneapolis on August 15, 1889, having on that day seceded from the Ancient Order of Foresters in England. Grand Court of California was organized November 20, 1889. Grand Secretary's office, Room 67, Flood Building. About fifty Courts were located in the State, also branches known as Knights of the Sherwood Forest and the Companions of the Forest. Local Courts included: Robin Hood, Aurora, America, California, Golden Gate, San Francisco, Bay City, Eucliean, Eclipse, Hubertus, Justice, Inter Nos, Golden West, Zenith, Golden State, Defiance, Stanford, Olympic, Magnolia, El Dorado, Western Addition, Golden Eagle, Golden Era, Washington, Pride of California, Young America and Pride of the Golden West. Objects of this order were to unite fraternally all white males of good character, between the ages of eighteen and fifty years, to aid its sick members, bury its dead, give relief to their widows and orphans, to find employment for the unemployed, and all other benevolent purposes.
Companions of the Forest. This branch was instituted in San Francisco in 1883, and formally recognized as the Ladies' Branch of the Ancient Order of Foresters at the Subsidiary High Court meeting in Detroit in August 1885. Since then it had been recognized as an official branch of the Ancient Order of Foresters of America. Grand Secretary's office, Room 67, Flood Building. Local Circles included: Excelsior, Bay City, Diana, Golden Gate, Lorely, Live Oak, Eclipse, Defiance, Olympus, Golden West, Alcatraz, Magnolia, Golden State and Twilight.
Ancient Order of United Workmen. This Order was first organized in the State by the institution of California Lodge No. 1 at West Oakland, August 21, 1875. Over two hundred and fifty-two Lodges had been formed in the State, with an aggregate membership of over eighteen thousand. The Grand Lodge of California was organized in 1877. Office, 65-66 Flood Building. Local Lodges included: San Francisco, Golden Gate, Harmony, Yerba Buena, Bernal, Unity, Valley, Spartan, Magnolia, Myrtle, Franklin, Hercules, Washington, Burns, St. John's, Excelsior, Olympic, Fidelity, Bay View, Memorial, Friendship, Triumph, Noe Valley, Alta, Fairmount and Eureka Valley.
Associated Charities. Organized March, 1886. Met at 509 Kearny street. Object was prevention of pauperism and crime.
Austrian Benevolent Society. Incorporated September 28, 1870. Met at Druid's Hall, 413 Sutter. Number of members, two hundred fifty.
Austrian Protective Association. Organized April 12, 1879. Met at 71 New Montgomery street. Object was to assist needy members in case of sickness or distress.
Austrian Military and Benevolent Society. Incorporated March 27, 1879. Numbers of members, eighty-five. Met at 310 O'Farrell street. Object was to assist its members in sickness or distress.
Belgian Mutual Relief Society (Société Belge de Secours Mutuels). Organized on April 1, 1883. Number of members, about one hundred. Met at Lafayette Hall, 730 Montgomery street.
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Organized April 11, 1876. Golden Gate Lodge met at Alcazar Building.
B'nai B'rith. Various Lodges met at B'nai B'rith Hall at 121 Eddy street. Lodges included: Grand, Ophir, Unity, Modin, Pacific, Montefiore, Columbia, Golden Gate, Occidental, California and Cremieux.
B'nai B'rith Hall Association. Incorporated April 9, 1878. Four story building located on Eddy street, between Mason and Taylor. Included a grand dancing hall with stage arrangement, and dining-room accomodation. Six capacious halls were contained in the building, along with a library and reading room. The library consisted of about seven thousand volumes.
Boys and Girls' Aid Society. Incorporated September 15, 1874. Office and "Home," corner of Grove and Baker streets. Object was to rescue homeless, neglected or abused children of California, and juvenile offenders who would otherwise be committed to prison; provide for such until suitable homes or employment were found for them; and, continue to look after their condition and treatment.
British Benevolent Society of California. Organized 1865. Number of members, between twelve and thirteen hundred members, and about one hundred and fifty paying members, including thirteen life members. Rooms, 531 California street. Objects were affording relief to the sick and destitute members and persons who were subjects of Great Britain at the time of their birth, and of promoting the social and intellectual improvement of its members.
California Prison Commission. Organized November 27, 1865. Objects were the amelioration of the condition of prisoners, the improvement of prisons and prison discipline, and the aid and encouragement of discharged prisoners in their efforts to regain their forfeited positions and secure for themselves an honest livelihood.
California Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Incorporated September 2, 1876. Number of members, two hundred. Office, 604 Merchant street, room 12. Objects were to provide ways and means to secure enforcement of an Act for the prevention of cruelty to children, and to labor in the education of a public sentiment of humanity and gentleness toward children.
California Society for the Suppression of Vice. Office of Secretary, 604 Merchant, room 14. Object was the enforcement of laws for the suppression of the trade in, and circulation of obscene literature, and such other vices as may be determined upon by the Society.
Cambrian Mutual Aid Society of San Francisco. Incorporated September 3, 1869. Number of members, two hundred and ten. Met at 1133 Mission Street.
Chebra Achim Rachmonim Association. Organized October 26, 1862. Number of members, one hundred and twenty-five. Met at B'nai B'rith Hall, 121 Eddy street. Object was to relieve and care for the sick, infirm, and disabled members.
Chebra Benai Yisrael Society. Organized September, 1861; incorporated May, 1868. Number of members, one hundred and forty. Met at B'nai B'rith Hall, 121 Eddy street. Object was to afford relief to its members in case of sickness or distress.
Chebra Bikur Cholim Ukedisha Society. Organized February, 1857. Met at B'nai B'rith Hall, 121 Eddy street. Object was to aid its members in case of sickness or distress.
Chebra B'rith Shalom Society. Organized July 8, 1860. Number of members, one hundred and thirty. Met at 32 O'Farrell street. Object was to aid its members in case of sickness or distress.
Chebra Ohavai Shalom Society. Organized July 26, 1874. Number of members, ninety. Met at 121 Eddy street.
Chebra Ohobath Zion Society. Incorporated October 7, 1870. Met at 121 Eddy street. Object was mutual relief of its members.
Danish Ladies' Relief Society. Number of members, one hundred and seventy-five. Met at 105 Stockton street.
Danish Society (Dania). Met at 20 Eddy street. Object was benevolent and social.
Elite Club. Organized November 24, 1877. Met at 806 Howard street. Object was benevolence.
Eureka Benevolent Society. Organized October, 1850. Number of members, seven hundred and forty-six. Office, 414 Clay street. Object was to assist poor and needy Hebrews in want or sickness.
Exempt Fire Company. Organized December 8, 1862; reorganized April 15, 1872, under an Act of Legislature, approved March 14, 1872. Met at their hall on Brenham Place.
Fireman's Mutual Benevolent Association. Organized 1868; reorganized May 7, 1874. It included all the officers and members of the Paid Fire Department. Object was the creation and maintenance of a fund for benevolent purposes in their behalf.
First Hebrew Benevolent Society. Organized in 1849; reorganized 1853; incorporated 1862. Number of members, three hundred. Office, corner of Post and Taylor streets. Object was to assist needy Hebrews in sickness and in want.
First Hebrew Ladies' Mutual Benefit Association. Organized January 10, 1864. Number of members, one hundred and sixteen. Met at 121 Eddy street. Object was to establish an institution for mutual assistance to ladies of Hebrew faith, furnish a physician and medicine, and, on death, to defray the funeral expenses.
Fraternal Guild. Organized February 20, 1889. Supreme Guild Hall, 3 Odd Fellows' Building. Object was to pay its members a benefit at stated periods, disability benefits in sickness or accident, and at death a stated amount to their nominees.
French Ladies' Benevolent Society (Société de Bienfaisance des Dames Francaise). Incorporated June 5, 1867. Number of members, one hundred and thirty. Met at French Library, 120 Sutter street. Object was the relief of French families that may be in want and distress.
French Mutual Benevolent Society (Société de Bienfaisance Mutuelle). Established December 28, 1851. The rooms of the society were located at 510 Jackson street, and a hospital on Bryant street, between Fifth and Sixth streets. Object was for the purpose of affording assistance to its members in case of sickness.
Garibaldi Mutual Benevolent Society. Met at 423 Broadway.
German General Benevolent Society of San Francisco (Die Allgemeine Deutsche Understuetzungs Gesellschaft). Organized January 7, 1854, with one hundred and five members. Membership had expanded to three thousand three hundred and sixty-two members. Membership was limited to Germans and persons speaking German. Hospital was located at block surrounded by Fourteenth, Ridley, Noe and Castro streets, which opened February 22, 1878. Old Hospital on Brannan street burned August 28, 1876. Office, 105 Stockton street, room 22. Objects were mutual assistance in case of sickness for members, and charity to Germans not members of the association, and especially to recent immigrants.
German Ladies' General Benevolent Society. Organized 1870. Number of members, two hundred and fifty. Met at 312 Post street. Object was to aid poor and distressed German women.
Grand Army of the Republic. Organized January, 1867. Department
Headquarters, rooms 18 and 19, St. Ann's Building, No. 6 Eddy street. Local
Posts included: Lincoln, George H. Thomas, Garfield, Colonel Cass, General
Meade, Liberty, and Veteran Guard of California.
This was an organization of honorably discharged soldiers, sailors and marines of the Army and Navy of the United States, who served to suppress the late rebellion [Civil War 1860-65], and whose objects were to perpetuate a fraternal feeling among its members, to aid and assist those in distress, and provide for the widows and orphans of their deceased comrades.
Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery Association. Incorporated January 28, 1870. Met at 14 ½ Montgomery avenue.
Grand Army of the Republic: Sons of Veterans. Organized November, 1881. Local Camps included: General John Miller, Fair Oaks, and Walter H. Holmes. Membership was open to sons of deceased or honorably discharged soldiers, sailors or marines who served in the Union Army or Navy during the Civil War of 1861-65. Object was true allegiance to the Government, based upon respect for and devotion and fidelity to the Constitution.
Grand Army of the Republic: Woman's Relief Corps. Local Relief Corps included: Lincoln, Garfield, Meade, and Liberty. Objects were to aid and assist the Grand Army of the Republic, and to perpetuate the memory of their heroic dead; assist veterans and their dependents; assist with relocation and employment; to inculcate lessons of patriotism and love of Country; and, to assist needy army nurses.
Hahnemann Dispensary. Located in Hahnemann Hospital College Building, 115 Haight street, above Octavia. Object was to provide medical and surgical aid for the worthy poor, and to attend at their homes.
Home for Aged and Infirm Females. Organized May, 1872, under the auspices of the Sisters of Mercy. A home was erected on Rincon Place, adjoining St. Mary's Hospital, which contained about ninety "inmates."
Hungarian Social and Mutual Aid Society of the Pacific Coast. Met at 417 Kearny street.
Improved Order of Red Men. Office, Red Men's Building, 320 Post street. Number of Councils in the State, thirty-two. Local Councils included: Manzanita , Miantonomah, Pohonachee, Pocahontas, Sotoyome, Modoc, Seminole, Yosemite League, Winnemucca, and Tahoe League.
Improved Order of Red Men's Endowment Fund Association. Organized September 8, 1881. Office, 320 Post street.
Independent Order Free Sons of Israel. Organized April, 1878. Number of members, about one hundred. Pioneer Lodge met at 121 Eddy street.
Independent Order of Red Men (Exclusive German Order). Office, 510 Bush street. Local San Francisco Stamms included: California, Golden Gate, Pacific, Germania, Herman, Teutonia, Vorwarts, Yerba Buena, and San Francisco.
Independent Order of Red Men's Hall Association. Incorporated December 24, 1867. Hall, 510 Bush street.
Italian Mutual Benevolent Society. Incorporated December 30, 1867. Number of members, eight hundred and fifty. Met at 808 Montgomery street. Object was for the purpose of affording assistance to indigent sick members.
Italian Bersaglieri Mutual Benevolent Society (Societa' di Mutno Soccorso della Compagnia Bersaglieri Italiani). Incorporated February 17, 1881. Number of members, one thousand. Met at 625 Broadway.
Italian Mutual Aid Society of the Garibaldi Guard. Office, 423 Broadway street.
Juarez Guard Mutual and Benevolent Society. Organized October 17, 1871. Met at Apollo Hall, 710 Pacific street. Number of members, three hundred and eighty-one. This was the civil section of the Juarez Guard. Object was to aid its sick members.
Kassidean Knights, A.E.R. Grand Chapter Pacific Coast. Met at 328 Montgomery street. There were two Priories in San Francisco: California and Golden Gate.
Knights and Ladies of Honor. Chartered in 1878, by the State of Kentucky. Grand Lodge was organized August 26, 1887. Offices, 20 Golden Gate Avenue and 1501 Pine street. Local Lodges included: Aurora, Martha (German), Bay City, Golden Rule, Fidelity, Pacific, Empire, West End, Magnolia and Excelsior. Objects were to unite fraternally all acceptable white men and women of any reputable profession, business or occupation, who were over eighteen years of age; to promote benevolence and charity, by establishing a death relief fund.
Knights of the Golden Eagle. California Castle No. 1 met at 421 Post street. Objects were beneficial and semi-military organization.
Knights of Honor. Organized June, 1873. The first Lodge organized in California was in May, 1879. Grand Lodge was organized March, 1880 and was located at Room 47, St. Ann's Building. There were about fifty-eight lodges, numbering four thousand three hundred members, in California. Local Lodges included: Ivy, Germania, Friendship, Charter Oak, Eureka, Yerba Buena, Norman, Saxon, Union, San Francisco, Tancred, Yosemite, Occidental, Mission, Keystone, Fidelity, Eagle, America, Confidence, Far West, Anchor, Polar Star, Fortuna, and Liberty. Objects were benevolent, fraternal and beneficial.
Knights of Pythias. The first Lodge in California was organized March 25, 1869. Since then one thousand one hundred and sixty-six other Lodges had been organized in the State. The Grand Lodge was organized September 28, 1869 and was located at 16 St. Ann's Building. Local Lodges, Ranks and Divisions included: California, Damon, Golden Gate, Laurel, Ivanhoe, Alemania, Eureka, Excelsior, Harmony, Myrtle, Metropolitan, South San Francisco, Bayard, Syracuse, Unity, Golden City, Ivy, Garfield, Justice, Triangle, Fairmount, Bay City, Roma, Section No. 70 of the Endowment Rank, Uniform Rank, Fairmount Division, S.F. German Division, Pythian Division, Pacific Division, Unity Division, and Justice Division.
Knights of Pythias Library Association. Rooms, 913 Market street. Library contained nearly four thousand volumes in various departments of literature.
Knights of Pythias Bureau of Relief. Met at 913 Market street.
Knights of Pythias Cemetery Association. Office, Room 16, St. Ann's Building. Plat located in City Cemetery.
Knights of the Red Branch. Met at southeast corner of Mason and O'Farrell streets. A secret Irish organization, the object of which was known only to the members of the association.
Kong Chow Beneficial Society (Chinese). Incorporated September 24, 1867. Location of asylum was on north side of Pine street, between Kearny and Dupont [Grant]. Object was to dispense charity to poor and worthy Chinese.
Ladies' Protection and Relief Society. Established August 4, 1853. Incorporated August 9, 1854. The building of this institution was located on Franklin street, between Post and Geary. Object was the supervision of a Home where friendless or destitute girls under the age of fourteen and over two years, and boys under ten and over two years, were received and provided for until permanent homes in Christian families were secured for them.
Ladies' Seaman's Friend Society. Met at Sailor's Home, northeast corner of Harrison and Main streets.
Ladies' Society of Israelites (Israelitische Frauen Verein). Established August 12, 1855. Number of members, three hundred. Met at 414 Clay street. Object was for the purpose of assisting Hebrew women under all circumstances of want.
Ladies' United Hebrew Benevolent Society. Established 1855. Met at Synagogue, corner of Post and Taylor streets. Objects of the society were to assist the poor and needy, attend the dying, and bury the dead females of the Jewish faith.
Ladies' Zion Society. Organized November, 1878. The office and school rooms were located at the church building Beth Israel, 115 Turk street. Object was a charitable organization of Hebrew ladies, for the purpose of taking care of the children of the indigent poor, and to clothe and give them a good education. It also maintained a flourishing sewing school for young girls who were taught how to support themselves.
Legion of the West. Incorporated September 8, 1885. Grand Lodge, 216 Sansome street. Local Lodges included: Mizpah, Templar, Warwick, Tropic, Jewel, Zenobia, Alta, California, Unity, San Francisco, Friendship, Starr King, Mission Star, Greenan, Pacific, Washington, Noe Valley, Kismet, Golden West, La Francaise, and Live Oak. Objects were fraternal and beneficial.
Letter Carriers' Mutual Aid Association. Organized January 20, 1888; incorporated February, 1890. Met at 927 Mission street.
Lick Old Ladies' Home. Located on University street, between Wayland and Henry streets, on University Mound Tract. Taylor and Haight, 207 Sansome street, were attorneys for the Home.
Little Sisters' Infant Shelter. Incorporated March 10, 1874. Located at 512 Minna street. Object of this society was for the purpose of taking care of the young children of working women during the day, thus allowing the mother to perform a day's work.
Magdalen Asylum. Under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy. Location was on Potrero avenue, near Twenty-first street. About two hundred penitents were living there. Under an arrangement with the city this Asylum also took charge of such refractory girls as were committed to its custody by order of the court.
Masons. Free and Accepted Masons of the State of California. Grand Lodge, Masonic Temple, northwest corner of Montgomery and Post streets. Local body organized in 1850. Local Lodges included California, La Parfaite Union, Occidental, Golden Gate, Mount Moriah, Fidelity, Hermann, Pacific, Crockett, Oriental, Excelsior, Mission, South San Francisco, Doric, Speranza, and King Solomon's. Related organizations included: The Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of the State of California, The Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters of the State of California, The Grand Commandery of Knights Templar of the State of California, Grand Consistory of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Masonic Veteran Association of the Pacific Coast, Masonic Board of Relief, Masonic Hall Association, The Grand Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, and the Masonic Cemetery Association (organized January 26, 1863).
Master Mariners' Benevolent Association. Organized April, 1867; incorporated April 28, 1869. Met at 421 Post street.
Mater Misericordle (House of Mercy). Under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy. Located at 23 ½ Rincon Place, adjoining St. Mary's Hospital. Object was for the protection of young women of unblemished character, none others admitted.
Military Order Loyal Legion U.S. Organized April 15, 1865. Commandery of the State of California was organized May 3, 1871. Objects were to cherish the memories and associations of the war waged in defense of the unity and indivisibility of the Republic; to strengthen the ties of fraternal fellowship and sympathy formed from companionship in arms; to advance the best interests of the soldiers and sailors of the United States, especially those associated as members of this order, and to extend all possible relief to their widows and children.
Mount St. Joseph's Infant Asylum for Boys and Girls. Organized March 10, 1863. Located on Silver avenue, between Lahaina and Sumatra streets. The Asylum was a large wooden edifice and could accommodate about four hundred children.
National Association of Stationary Engineers. Organized October 25,1882. Met at 909 ½ Market street. Objects were mutual improvement and a beneficiary fund.
Native Sons of the Golden West (N.S.G.W.). Organized July 11, 1875. A library was maintained in Pioneer Building, 24 Fourth street. There were one hundred and fifty-four Parlors in the State. The Grand Parlor was instituted in December, 1878. Local Parlors included: Yerba Buena, California, Pacific, Golden Gate, Mission, San Francisco, Niantic, El Dorado, Rincon, Stanford, Bay City, National, Columbia, Hesperian, Alcatraz, and Alcalde.
Netherlands' Benevolent Society. Organized 1873; incorporated February 17, 1874. Number of members, eighteen. Met at hall, junction Market and Sutter streets. Object was the relief of its members in sickness, want, and distress.
Nord-Deutscher Verein. Organized November 5, 1874. Number of members, three hundred and fifty. Met at 35 Eddy street. Object was mutual benevolence in case of sickness or death.
Odd Fellows. Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Hall, corner of Market and Seventh streets. Local Lodges and Encampments included: Golden Gate Encampment, Walhalla Encampment, Wildey Encampment, Unity Encampment, Oriental Encampment, Oriental Encampment, Good Will Encampment, Canton San Francisco, California, San Francisco, Harmony, Yerba Buena, Templar, Magnolia, Bay City, Abou Ben Adhem, Germania, Concordia, Apollo, Parker, Unity, Hermann, Pacific, Ophir, Occidental, Cosmopolitan, Golden Gate, Alta, Franco-American, Fidelity, Morse, Myrtle, Western Addition, Excelsior, Golden West, Presidio, Excelsior Degree, Teutonia, California Rebekah Degree, Templar Rebekah Degree, Oriental Rebekah Degree, and Walhalla Rebecka Degree. Related organizations included: Odd Fellows' Literary and Social Club, Odd Fellows' Hall Association of San Francisco, Veteran Odd Fellows' Association, Odd Fellows' Library Association, and The Odd Fellows' Cemetery Association (incorporated September 26, 1865).
Old People's Home of San Francisco. Organized March 19, 1874. Home was located at corner of Pierce and Pine streets. Number of members, one hundred and fifty. Object was the founding of a Home for the needy, sick and destitute of all nations.
Order Hermann's Sons. Organized June 2, 1870. Number of members, about two thousand. The Grand Lodge was organized June 12, 1878. Local Lodges included: San Francisco, Ernst Von Bandel, Eureka, Germania, Hercules, North Beach, Mission, Alexander V. Humboldt, Hoffnung, and Thusnelda. Object was to aid its members and their families in case of sickness, death, or distress.
Order Kesher Shel Barzel. Har Hamoriah Lodge met at B'nai B'rith Hall.
Order of Chosen Friends. Instituted May 28, 1879. A Grand Council was organized May 17, 1881. Grand Recorder's office, 48-49 St. Ann's Building. There were one hundred and fifty-five Councils in this State and Nevada. Local Councils included: Concord, Crystal, American, Pacific, Samaritan, Washington, Social, Empire, Valley, Golden Gate, Fairmount, California, Home, Alcazar, Olive Branch, Evans, Eclectic, Teutonia, Germania, San Francisco, Protection, Phoenix, Allamania, C. M. Arnold, Mistletoe, and Beadford. This Order was a secret benevolent society. Objects were to unite in bonds of fraternity, aid and protection of all acceptable white persons of good character, steady habits, sound bodily health and reputable calling.
Orphan Asylum Society (Protestant). Organized January 31, 1851; incorporated February 10, 1851. The number of children in the asylum was two hundred and thirty. The Asylum originally occupied the building on the corner of Second and Folsom streets, owned by Gen. H. W. Halleck, whence they removed the children in March, 1854, to the building, south side of Haight street, between Laguna and Buchanan streets.
Orphan Asylum (Roman Catholic). Organized March 23, 1851. The institution was under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy. For a number of years the asylum was maintained in the lower part of the city, until the growth of the city's business enforced a removal. In 1862 a farm of fifty-three acres, near Bay View, South San Francisco, was purchased, upon which tract of land a large and commodious wooden edifice was built in 1872. It could accommodate about eight hundred children.
Our Lady's Home (Sisters of Mercy). Located at Rincon Place, between Harrison and Bryant streets.
Pacific Hebrew Orphan Asylum and Home Society. Incorporated July 26, 1871. Located on east side of Divisadero street, between Hayes and Grove. Objects were the care, relief, protection, and improvement of orphan children, and for the care of aged Israelites who were without adequate means of support.
Pacific Homoeopathic Dispensary Association. Organized December 7, 1876; incorporated December 23, 1876. Dispensary, 943 Howard street. Object was to provide medical and surgical aid for the deserving poor, and to visit at their homes for those who were not able to attend the Dispensary.
Pacific Rescue Home Association for Erring Women. Located at 607 California.
Polish Society of California (Towarzystwo Polakow w Kalifornii). Organized January 28, 1873. Met at their rooms, 1241 ½ Market street. Objects were social, literary and benevolent.
Portuguese Protective and Benevolent Society. Incorporated August, 1868. Met at 510 Bush street.
Protestant Episcopal Old Ladies' Home. Organized January, 1869; incorporated January 25, 1870. Located on Golden Gate avenue, between Lott street and Masonic avenue. Objects were to establish and sustain a charitable institution for the permanent care and maintenance of poor, aged, or infirm women, members of the Episcopal Church, who were from any cause incapacitated from taking care of themselves; and, for the temporary residence of Christian women seeking employment.
Royal Argosy. Supreme Lodge was organized in May, 1888. Secretary's office, 71 Flood Building. Object was beneficial.
Russian O. E. Church Benevolent Society. Met at 713 Filbert street.
San Francisco Baecker Verien. Organized August 5, 1877. Number of members, one hundred and ten. Met at Druids' Hall, 413 Sutter street. Objects were benevolent and protective.
San Francisco Benevolent Society. Organized 1865. Office, 20 Webb street. Object was to improve the condition of the deserving indigent, and, so far as practicable, to relieve their necessities.
San Francisco Fruit and Flower Mission. Incorporated October, 1880. Rooms, 420 Post street. Object was to carry fruit, flowers, literature and delicacies to the sick in hospitals and tenements.
San Francisco Medical Benevolent Society. Organized December 21, 1870; incorporated February 23, 1871. Number of members, twenty-five. Met at their rooms in Murphy Building. Objects were for the protection and relief of deserving physicians and their families who may suffer from sickness or want, and to promote kindly professional and social intercourse among themselves and their professional brethren at large. A Literary Chapter was organized July 21, 1871, for the objects of establishing a library, establishment of a museum, and publication of a medical journal.
San Francisco Musical Fund Society. Incorporated January 20, 1864; reorganized December 17, 1875. Met over the Rendevous Saloon, 16 O'Farrell street. Number of members, eighty-seven. Object of this society was to assist sick and disabled members and their families.
San Francisco Produce Exchange Mutual Benefit Association. Incorporated March, 1880. Office, 24 Merchants' Exchange. Object was to secure to the families or dependents of its members such pecuniary benefits or aid.
San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Incorporated April, 1868. Office, 604 Merchant street. Number of members, one hundred and fifty. Objects were to provide ways and means to secure the enforcement of "An Act for the more effectual Prevention of Cruelty to Animals," approved March 30, 1868, and to labor in education of a public sentiment of humanity and gentleness toward domestic and other animals.
Scandinavian Society. Organized February 28, 1859. Number of members, three hundred and seventy. Met at 71 New Montgomery street. Objects were to aid their sick and bury their dead, to assist their members, and have a hall and library.
Servian Montenegrian Benevolent Society. Organized May 2, 1880. Number of members, one hundred and seventy-nine. Met at 10 California street. Objects were mutual assistance in case of sickness and bury its dead.
Slavonic Illyric Mutual Benevolent Association. Organized November 17, 1857; incorporated April 1, 1873. Number of members, eighty-two. Met at 320 Post street.
Society of St. Vincent De Paul. Organized 1866; re-organized 1885. Met at St. Mary's Cathedral. Object was to relieve distress wherever found. Though a legitimate offspring of the Catholic Church, and principally supported by members of the same, its charities were extended to all worthy persons who were in distress.
Sons of Jacob. Organized January, 1878. Number of members, ninety. Met at B'nai B'rith Building, 121 Eddy street. Object was benevolent.
Spanish Mutual Benevolent Society. Organized 1877. Number of members, about one hundred and twenty. Met at 320 Post street. Office, 413 Sacramento street. Objects were benevolence and mutual assistance.
St. Andrew's Society (Scotch Benevolent Society). Organized September 21, 1863; incorporated August 4, 1865. Numbers of members, three hundred and fifty. Met at Scottish Hall, 111 Larkin street. Objects were aiding indigent Scotch people and their families, and for finding employment for their unemployed countrymen.
St. Joseph's Benevolent Society (Roman Catholic). Established 1860. Number of members, four hundred and fifty. Met in basement of St. Mary's Cathedral. Objects were to extend assistance to each other in time of sickness, by corporeal aid and spiritual consolation, spiritual stimulation, etc.
St. Joseph's Benevolent Society of St. Francis Parish. Organized March 3, 1872. Number of members, three hundred. Met at St. Francis' Church, corner Montgomery avenue and Vallejo street. Objects were to visit the sick, bury the dead, and provide for families of deceased members.
St. Francis' Benevolent Society. Met at Mission Dolores.
St. Patrick's Mutual Alliance Association of California. Organized March 20, 1873. Number of members, two hundred and forty. Met at southeast corner of O'Farrell and Mason streets. Objects were to unite in a mutual union, Irishmen and their descendants of all creeds and classes, charity to widows and orphans, and fraternal friendship.
St. Paul's German Roman Catholic Benevolent Society. Organized July, 1870. Number of members, one hundred and twenty. Met in basement of St. Boniface Church. Objects were to afford relief to distressed members, and support of their widows and orphans.
St. Peter's German Roman Catholic Benevolent Society. Organized March, 1865; incorporated January 7, 1867. Met in basement of St. Boniface Church. Objects were the mutual benefits to its members.
Sueddeutscher Verein. Organized October 23, 1884. Met at 413 Sutter street. Object was beneficiary.
Swedish Society. Organized September 20, 1875. Number of members, two hundred. Met at Irving Hall. Objects were to take care of sick members, aid the destitute, and bury the dead.
Swiss Mutual Benevolent Society. Organized 1859; reorganized 1874. Number of members, six hundred and fifty. Office, 309 Clay street. Object was to afford its members mutual assistance in cases of sickness or for burial of deceased members.
Swiss Relief Society. Organized 1874; reorganized October, 1886. Office, 313 Montgomery street.Object was to aid Swiss in need and deserving of assistance.
Teachers' Mutual Aid Society of San Francisco. Organized May, 1873. Objects were the mutual assistance of teachers who were members of the San Francisco School Department, and more particularly to minister to the wants of the sick.
Teutonia Society. Organized June 1, 1886. Number of members, two hundred and fifty. Met at Teutonia Hall, 1322 Howard street. Objects were to assist members who, by accident or sickness, were incapacitated from pursuing their calling, and for the relief and support of the aged and the widows and orphans of deceased members, and for the purpose of defraying the funeral expenses of the members thereof.
Tivoli Mutual Aid Society. Organized May 9, 1882. Met at Tivoli Opera House. Number of members, ninety. Object were the assistance in cases of sickness and dead, and to defray the funeral expenses of professionals.
United Ancient Order of Druids. Druids Hall, 413 Sutter street. Local Groves and Chapters included: Hartnagel Supreme Arch Chapter, San Francisco, Eureka, Laurel Chapter, Norma, Sigel, Perseverance, Schiller, Hesperian, Elvin, Laurel, Templar, Galileo, Vasco Da Gama, Celtic, Boadicia Druidic, Exclesior, and Noe Valley. Druids' Library was located at Druids' Hall.
United California Finn Brotherhood. Met at Drews' Hall, 71 New Montgomery street. Object was mutual benefits.
United Endowment Associates. Organized August 23, 1884. There were fifty-four lodges in California. Grand Lodge, 809 Market street, room 68. Local Lodges included: San Francisco, Golden Gate, Yosemite, California, Memorial, Eureka, Henrietta, U. S. Grant, Security, Fidelity, Integrity, Confidence, Friendship, Excelsior, Unity, Germania, Dante, Golden West, Hortensa, Triumph, Lincoln, Editha, J. A. Garfield, Fraternity, Protection, Star of the West, Mispah, and Acme. Objects were benevolent and fraternal.
Union Printers' Mutual Aid Society. Organized May 22, 1887. Objects were to give financial aid and assistance to its members who were unable to follow their occupation on account of sickness or accident.
Veteran's Home. Incorporated March 7, 1882. Office, 420 Montgomery street, room 15. Location of home was in Yountville, Napa County. Objects were the founding of a home for the relief and support of worthy officers, soldiers, marines and sailors who honorably served in the army or navy of the United States during the ware with Mexico or of the Rebellion [Civil War], or in any other war, and who were in indigent circumstances, and by reason of age, infirmity or wounds received in service, or incapable of self-support, and for that purpose to receive contributions and to take and hold real and personal property by grant, devise or bequest and to erect suitable buildings for the use and occupation of the beneficiaries of the Association.
Widows' and Orphans' Aid Association of the Police Department of San Francisco. Organized January 13, 1878. The membership embraced the entire force. Object was to render pecuniary aid to the widows and orphans.
Young Men's Catholic Union. Formerly Young Men's Catholic Aid Association, organized May 31, 1883, resolved into Catholic Union December 1, 1888. Office, 935 Market street, room 14. Objects were to pay sick and death benefits.
Young Men's Institute. Grand Council organized in 1883. Office, Flood Building. There were eighteen local Institutes. Objects were mutual improvement and a fund for sick and funeral benefits.
Youths' Directory. Established November 1, 1874, under the patronage of Archbishop Alemany. Office, 2030 Howard street. Objects were the Free Intelligence Bureau and a Temporary Home for friendless boys in search of employment.
California Academy of Sciences. Organized April 4, 1853. Number of members, three hundred and twenty-five. Academy Building, southwest corner of California and Dupont [Grant] streets.
California Historical Society. Incorporated July 14, 1870; reincorporated February, 1886. Objects were the cultivation of the history, antiquities, and ethnography of the west coast of America, and the publication of early relations and documents connected therewtih.
California Pharmaceutical Society and College of Pharmacy. Incorporated December 10, 1871. College incorporated August 7, 1872, and affliated with the University of California June 18, 1873. The society and college were consolidated January, 1878. Lectures were given at the Hall of the College of Pharmacy, 113 Fulton street, between Polk and Van Ness avenue. Object was to unite the apothecaries of this State in organized efforts to elevate the standing of those engaged in the profession.
California Rifle Association. Incorporated June, 1875. Office, 402 Montgomery street. Objects were to encourage rifle practice; to promote a system of armory drill and target firing among the National Guard; and, to provide a suitable range for the use of the members.
California School of Mechanical Arts. Incorporated 1885. Objects were to educate California boys and girls in the mechanical arts and trades.
California State Dental Association.
California State Horticultural Society. Organized September, 1879. Number of members, one hundred. Office, 220 Market street. Objects were to promote the science and practice of horticultural in all its branches.
California State Mining Bureau. Organized under an Act of the Legislature and approved April 16, 1880. Located in the Pioneers' Building, west side Fourth street, between Market and Mission. Objects were to maintain a collection of geological and mineralogical substances including mineral waters from within and outside the State for the public.
Fire Underwriters' Association of the Pacific. Organized February, 1876. Met at 307 Sansome street, room 6. Object was mutual improvement in Insurance matters.
Free Public Library, The. Organized 1879. Location, New City Hall, second floor. Had three branches: No 1. corner Twenty-second and Mission streets; No 2. Kentucky street near Butte, Potrero; and, No. 3. 1801 Stockton street. This organization was provided for by an Act of the Legislature in April, 1880, for the creation and maintenance of free libraries. The library was formally opened June 7, 1879, with about 6,162 volumes (magazines and periodicals not included), together with a newspaper department. At this time there were nearly 51,523 volumes in the Library. Between 25,000 and 28,000 were circulated each month. Number of Home Cards issued, 33,750.
Geographical Society of the Pacific. Office, 430 Pine street. Objects were to encourage Geographical exploration and discovery; to investigate and disseminate Geographical information; to accumulate a library of the best books on Geography, History and Statistics; create a collection of recent Maps and Charts; and, correspond with other societies of similar objects.
Hastings' Debating Society. Organized September 1, 1878. Number of members, about thirty. Met at Old Pioneer Hall, 808 Montgomery street.
Jersey Cattle Club. Number of members, eighty. Office, 405 California street.
Ligue Nationale Francaise. Organized August 4, 1871. Met at 120 Sutter street. Objects were to promote friendship, harmony, and intelligence among the French residents of California, and enable them to co-operate in enterprises of general importance.
Mariners' Free Reading Room. Established March 21, 1876. Located at northeast corner of Sacramento and Drumm streets. Objects were affording mariners visiting this port, and others, opportunity of reading the local, Eastern, and foreign newspapers, and periodicals, free of charge. The library contained eight hundred volumes.
Mechanics' Institute. Organized March 29, 1855. Location, 31 Post street. Objects were the establishment of a library, reading room, collection of scientific apparatus, works of art, and other literary works. The Institute also owned the "Mechanics' Pavilion," located on the southwst corner of Grove and Larkin streets, in which, under auspices of the Institute, held Annual Industrial Expositions.
Mercantile Library Association. Organized January 24, 1853. Mercantile Library Building was located north side of Bush street, between Sansome and Montgomery. The library contained about sixty-two thousand volumes, papers and magazines.
Military Library. Incorporated January 3, 1873. Office, Phelan Building, room 306. A public library containing twelve hundred and fifty volumes and two hundred maps.
Pacific Coast Amateur Photographic Association. Met at 605 Merchant street.
Philhistorian Debating Society. Met at College Debating Hall at St. Ignatius College.
San Francisco Art Association. Organized March 28, 1871; incorporated July 30, 1889. Number of members, about four hundred contributing, one hundred and fifty life, and nine honorary. Met at 430 Pine street. Objects were the promotion of painting, sculpture, and fine arts akin thereto, the diffusion of a cultivated taste for art in the community at large, and the establishment of an academy or school of design. The School of Design connected with the Association was organized December 31, 1873. It had ninety pupils.
San Francisco Bar Association. Organized April 20, 1872. Number of members, about two hundred. Rooms, 121 Post street. Objects were to maintain the honor and dignity of the profession of law, to increase its usefulness in promoting the due administration of justice, and to cultivate social intercourse amongs it members.
San Francisco County Society of Physicians and Surgeons. Office, 1032 Market street.
San Francisco Cremation Company. Incorporated September 5, 1885. Office, 331 Kearny street, room 1. Object was to erect a crematary on a lot of ground situated on the northeast corner of California and Laurel streets.
San Francisco Law Library Association. Organized 1865. Rooms, New City Hall. Library contained about twenty-eight thousand volumes.
San Francisco Microscopical Society. Organized April 5, 1872; incorporated August 30, 1872. Number of active members, thirty-five. Met at 120 Sutter street, room 21.
Society of California Pioneers. Organized August, 1850. Rooms were in Pioneers' Building, west side of Fourth street, between Market and Mission streets. Objects were to collect and preserve information connected with the early settlement and subsequent conquest of the country, and to perpetuate the memory of those who sagacity, energy and enterprise induced them to settle in the wilderness and become the founders of a new State. The Society also has a library containing relics of early times and other objects of interest. All who were in California prior to the first day of January, 1850, were eligible to membership.
State Board of Horticulture. Office, 220 Sutter street.
State Board of Viticulture. Office, 216 Montgomery street.
State Floral Society. Organized October, 1888. Object was the reformation of the science and practice of Floriculture in all its branches.
State Medical Society. Office, 200 Stockston street.
Swedenborg Library and Tract Society. Incorporated April, 1881. Met at Library of the First New Jerusalem Church, 318 O'Farrell street. Objects were to maintain a library and reading room of the works of Emanuel Swedenborg, and to disseminate books and tracts in harmony therewith.
Technical Society of the Pacific Coast. Organized April, 1884. Number of members, one hundred and fifty. Met at 408 California street. Objects were the advancement of the technical professions by means of the reading of papers and discussion of questions pertaining thereto, and the establishment of a central point of reference.
Territorial Pioneers of California. Incorporated November 10, 1874. Rooms, 325 Montgomery street. Objects were to form a more perfect union of the Pioneers of California in the bonds of friendship, to cultivate social intercourse between members; to collect and preserve historical facts and information in connection with the early and subsequent history of the settlement of the Pacific Coast; to form a library; to form a collection of minerals, geological and other natural substances; and to pursue literary and scientific objects. All white males who were in California prior to the ninth day of Sepetember, 1850, and the male descendants of all such, of lawful age, were eligible to membership.
American Bakers' Union. Organized January 1887. Met at 818 Howard street. Object was the reduction of regular hours of labor.
Barbers' Protective Union. Organized January 13, 1878. Number of members, one hundred and thirty. Met at 320 Post street. Objects were protective and benevolent.
Bay City Building and Loan Association. Incorporated May 9, 1889. Met at 11 Montgomery.
Board of Trade of San Francisco. Organized April, 1877. Number of members, two hundred and twenty. Office, 202 Market street. Objects were to protect the interests of its members, prevent settlements without full investigation, resist inequitable and fraudulent settlements, and bring about joint action in the collection of debts (other than in the ordinary course of business).
Bookbinders' Protective and Beneficial Association of California. Organized August 15, 1875. Number of members, fifty-six. Met at 539 California street.
Brewers' Protective Association. Organized in 1874. Met at 40 Flood Building. Objects were protection of mutual interests and promotion of harmony among brewers.
Butchers' (Retail) Protective Association. Organized April 1, 1886. Met at B'nai B'rith Hall, 121 Eddy street.
Builders' Association of California. Located at 320 Pine street, rooms 11 and 12.
California State Homoeopathic Medical Society. Incorporated January, 1878. Object was the advancement of the science of medicine and surgery.
Catholic Mutual Beneficial Association of the Arch-Diocese of San Francisco. Organized February 1, 1880. Met at Room 48, Phelan Building. Object was for death benefits.
Chamber of Commerce. Organized April, 1850. Number of members, one hundred and seventy-five. Rooms, Merchants' Exchange, California street.
Cigarmakers' International Union. Organized in 1885. Number of members, four hundred and forty-five. Met at Metropolitan Hall. Objects were to improve the condition of its members and protect them against the encroachments of Chinese cheap labor.
Commercial Travelers' Association of California. Organized in 1878. Objects were protective and mutual.
Coast Seamen's Union of the Pacific Coast. Organized March 6, 1885. Met at southwest corner of Mission and East [Embarcadero] streets. Object was mutual protection.
Coopers' Protective Union. Met at 316 Post street.
Draymen and Teamster's Union of San Francisco. Organized August 26, 1876. Number of members, about two hundred. Met at B'nai B'rith Hall, 121 Eddy street.
Franklin Spar and Bau Verein. Organized December 6, 1875. Office, 539 California street. Objects were to raise funds, and make loans among its members, thus enabling them to acquire and improve real estate.
Gardeners' and Ranchers' Association. Organized August 15, 1874. Number of members, seventy-eight. Met at 105 Pacific street.
German Butchers' Protective Association. Met at 316 Post Street.
Independent Longshoremen's Protective Association. Met at 71 New Montgomery street.
International Furniture Workers' Union. Met at Furniture Workers' Hall, 1153 Mission street, entrance on Julia street.
Iron Molders' Union. Organized April, 1873. Number of members, five hundred. Met at southeast corner of O'Farrell and Mason streets.
Italian Chamber of Commerce. Organized in 1886. Number of members, ninety-five. Met at 605 Battery.
Italian-Swiss Agricultural Colony. Incorporated March 12, 1881. Office, 307 Sansome street. Object was the promotion of cooperative farming.
Italian-Swiss Mutual Loan Association. Incorporated April 1, 1887. Office, 307 Sansome street. Object was to make loans to its members.
Journeymen Bakers' National Union. Organized October 6, 1885. Met at 818 Howard street.
Jewelers' Mutual Aid Society. Met at 417 Kearny street.
Journymen Shipwrights' Association. Organized April 1, 1857; reorganized April 23, 1863. Number of members, four hundred. Met at 32 O'Farrell street.
Longshore Lumbermen's Protective Association. Met at 818 Howard street.
Lumbermen's Protective Union. Organized September 1, 1872. Number of members, one hundred and twenty-five. Met at 3 Mission street. Objects were mutual benevolent purposes only, in aiding and assisting its sick members and burying the dead.
Lumber Surveyors' Association. Organized February, 1884. Number of members, twenty-nine. Met at 25 Steuart street. Object was mutual protection and the concentration of its members for uniformity of action.
Machinists' Union of California. Organized February 10, 1885. Met at 32 O'Farrell street. Object was protective and beneficial.
Manufacturers' Association of California. Incorporated November 13, 1883. All persons or firms engaged in manufacturing in the State were eligible to become members. Objects were to develop and protect the producing and manufacturing interests of California; to circulate information of new districts or distant points open to our manufacturers; to provent oppressive legislation and unfair taxation; to provide a place of meeting for interchange of ideas and promotion of good feeling among members; for the maintenance of a reading room, and bureau of statistics realting to manufacturers and all other industries, by causing interest in and preference for their production and wares.
Master Plumbers' Association. Met at Shiel's Building. Object was for the protection of the trade and to secure a higher standard of work.
Merchants' Exchange Association. Incorporated June 1, 1868. Office, Merchant's Exchange Building, California street, between Montgomery and Sansome. Object was the promotion of the interest of trade and commerce.
Marine Engineers' Association. Organized July 27, 1882. Met at Alcazar Hall. Object was mutual welfare.
Millmen's Protective Association. Comprised the planing mill proprietors of San Francisco, Oakland, Alameda and East and West Berkeley. Met at 330 Pine street, rooms 11 and 12.
Musicians' Mutual Protective Union. Office, 121 Post.
Occidental Loan Association. Incorporated August 24, 1885. Office, 423 California street.
Pacific Loan Association. Incorporated December 4, 1884. Office, 423 California street.
Pacific Coast Shipowners' Association. Met at Pier 3, Steuart street.
Pacific Stock and Exchange Board. Met at 316 Montgomery street, between California and Pine streets.
Retail Grocers' Protective Union. Organized April 1, 1871. Members comprised of retail grocers. Met at 417 Kearny street. Object was the purpose of protecting its members against bad debtors.
Restaurant Proprietors' Employment Bureau. Organized January 16, 1888. Office, 105 Stockton street, room 12.
Riggers' and Stevedores' Union Association. Organized July 25, 1853. Number of members, two hundred. Met at 808 Montgomery street. Object was the regulation of wages and the protection of each other.
San Francisco Board of Provision Packers. Organized September 1, 1874. Office, 517 Washington street. Objects were the mutual benefits of members, and to promote the interests of the trade generally.
San Francisco Clearing House. Office, 211 Sansome street.
San Francisco County Medical Society. Organized February 4, 1868. Number of members, one hundred and sixty-five. Met at 32 O'Farrell street.
San Francisco Dental Association. Organized October 5, 1869. Number of members, about twenty-five.
San Francisco Mutual Loan Association. Incorporated October 25, 1882. Objects were to raise funds and make loans to members for the purpose of siding them in acquiring and improving real estate.
San Francisco Produce Exchange. Organized September 15, 1867. Number of members, two hundred. Met at Merchant's Exchange, 425 California street, between Montgomery and Sansome. Object was to promote the interest and convenience of dealers in domestic produce.
San Francisco Produce Exchange Call Board Association. Organized August 3, 1882. Number of members, two hundred.
San Francisco Ship Calkers' Association. Organized October 23, 1878. Number of members, two hundred and thirteen. Met at 44 Spear street.
San Francisco Stock and Exchange Board. Organized September 11, 1862. Met at 333 Pine street.
San Francisco Typographical Union. Organized 1868. Number of members, seven hundred.
Scavengers' Protective Union. Organized August 17, 1879. Number of members, about two hundred. Met at 423 Broadway street.
Ship and Steamboat Joiners' Protective Association. Organized February, 1881. Met at Drews' Hall, 71 New Montgomery street.
Sportman's Club of California. Organized February, 1876. Incorporated August, 1876. Number of members, sixty. Office, 132 Market street, room 15. Objects were the preservation of fish and game, and retention of fishing preserves, etc.
Steamship Sailors' Protective Association. Organized April 21, 1886. Met at 12 1/2 Washington street. Object was mutual protection. Number of members, one thousand and one hundred.
Stevedore Engineers' Protective Association. Met at St. George's Hall.
Stonecutters' Protective Association. Organized May, 1863. Met at Irish-American hall, 818 Howard street.
Tailors' Protective Union. Organized September 29, 1873. Number of members, two hundred and seventy-eight. Met at Eintracht Hall, 316 Post street. Objects were the better protection of the trade and to promote the interests of its members.
The Stock and Bond Exchange. Office, 22 Merchant's Exchange.
Union Loan Association. Incorporated May 3, 1881. Office, 423 California street. Objects were to raise funds and make loans to its members for the purpose of aiding them in acquiring and improving real estate.
West Oakland Mutual Loan Association. Incorporated July 21, 1875. Office, 423 California street. Object was to make loans to members to enable them to secure homes on easy payments.
Western Loan Association. Incorporated November 12, 1886. Office, 307 Sansome street.
Alpine Amateur Athletic Club. Met at Eureka Turn Verien Hall, Powell street, between Pine and California. Object was to promote physical culture.
Arion Verein. Number of members, about two hundred and eighty-five. Met at the club rooms, 414 Pine street.
Ariel Bowling Club. Number of members, sixty-five. Boat House, Oil Wharf.
Associated Veterans of the Mexican War. Organized July 2, 1866. Number of members, ninety-five. Met at their hall, 22 O'Farrell street.
Australian Club. Organized December 12, 1889. Number of members, eighty. Rooms of Society, 1320 Market street.
Bohemian Club. Incorporated April 9, 1872. Number of members, five hundred and fifty. Literary and musical meetings were held at their rooms on 130 Post street.
Caledonian Club. Organized November 24, 1866. Number of members, six hundred and fifty. Met at the Scottish Hall, 111 Larkin street. Objects were encouragement and practice of the games, and preservation of the customs and manners of Scotland, and a promotion of a taste for her literature, music, etc.
California Athletic Club. Organized February 1, 1886. Rooms, 156 New Montgomery.
California Schuetzen Club. Organized January, 1876. Number of members, one hundred and eighty. Met at Eintracht Hall, 316 Post.
California State Democratic Club. Organized December, 1879. Number of members (throughout state), one hundred and sixty. Rooms, 207 Sutter street.
Cercle Francais. Organized 1884. Number of members, one hundred and seventy. Club rooms, 421 Post.
Concordia Club. Organized November, 1864. Number of members, one hundred and eighty. Met at 102 O'Farrell street.
Cosmos Club. Founded 1881; incorporated 1883. Location, 317 Powell street.
Danish Society (Norden). Organized July, 1873. Number of members, about one hundred. Met at 105 Stockton street. Object was to encourage social and dramatic entertainment.
Deutscher Krieger Verein. Organized June 2, 1884; incorporated April 15, 1885. Membership, one hundred. Comprised of ex-members of the German army. Object was to reunite the German soldiers and promote the social relations and aid needy and worthy comrades.
Deutscher Verein. Organized October 2, 1876. Met at Club Rooms, Pioneers' Building. Objects were social recreation and cultivation of music, singing, and German literature among its members.
Dry Good Men's Association of San Francisco. Organized September 2, 1884. Number of members, one hundred and seventy-five. Met at Concord Hall, Alcazar Building. Objects were beneficial and social.
George T. Trimble Association of the Pacific Coast. Organized January 13, 1875. Number of members, fifty. This Society was composed exclusively of members of the New York Public School No. 7, between the years 1826 and 1846.
Germania Club. Organized December 12, 1873; incorporated May 20, 1875. Number of members, two hundred and ten. Met at 421 Post street. Object was to assist members who by accident or sickness were incapacitated from pursuing their calling.
Golden Gate Athletic Club. Organized in 1888. Rooms, 190 Stevenson street.
Handel and Haydn Society. Organized July, 1866; incorporated February 1, 1873. Number of members, three hundred and fifty. Met at Pioneer Hall, Fourth street.
Harmonie Club. Organized October 14, 1877. Number of members, one hundred. Met at their rooms at 421 Post street. Object was the improvement of the mental, moral, and social condition of its members.
Independent Old Friends. Organized March 5, 1887. Met at 417 Kearny street.
Iroquois Club. Organized September 9, 1883; incorporated April 20, 1886. Met at 913 Market street. Objects were the maintenance and support of Democratic principles and promotion of social intercourse among its members.
Harvard Club of San Francisco. Organized 1874. Number of members, about one hundred and ten. Composed of the Pacific Coast Alumni of Harvard University.
Loring Club. This, the leading singing society club of the city, was composed of sixty male voices, and two hundred and fifty associate or subscribing members. Rehearsals were held in their rooms in Druids' Hall, 413 Sutter street.
Merchants' Club. Organized January 28, 1887. Rooms, 203 California street. Object was a social organization composed principally of wholesale merchants.
Mission Turn Verein. Number of members, two hundred and seventy-five. Met at Mission Turn Hall, 2117 Mission street.
National Club. Organized July, 1888; permanently reorganized November 16, 1888. Number of members, fifty-five. Rooms, 417 Kearny street. Objects were to promote social intercourse among its members and to support the principles of the Republican party.
Neptune Swimming and Boating Club. Organized February 21, 1877. Number of members, thirty-seven. Boat house, foot of Leavenworth street, North Beach. Boats consisted of three four-oar barges. Colors were blue and white.
Odd Fellows' Literary and Social Club. Organized January 1, 1881. Met at Odd Fellows' hall, corner Market and Seventh streets. Objects were the improvement of its members in the work of the order, and for social and literary purposes.
Olympic Club. Number of members, about one thousand two hundred and fifty. The club was located in the Alcazar Building, on O'Farrell street, between Stockton and Powell. The rooms included the two upper stories of the building, and were equipped with all the most approved gymnastic appurtenances, and furnished with every convenience which the necessities of the club might require under any circumstances. This club was the leading athletic club west of the Mississippi, and ranked among the first of the social organizations of the city.
Pacific-Union Club. The Pacific and Union Clubs consolidated February 1, 1889. Location, northwest corner of Post and Stockton streets. Rooms, containing library and reading rooms, were supplied with all the domestic and foreign newspapers and periodicas.
Pacific Coast Association Sons of Vermont. Organized January 6, 1879. Number of members, about three hundred. Met at Odd Fellows' Hall. Objects were social and beneficial.
Pacific Yacht Club. Organized June 28, 1878. Number of members, two hundred and fifty. Met at the Palace Hotel. Headquarters, Club-house, Old Saucelito.
Press Club of San Francisco. Organized September, 1888. Rooms, 430 Pine street. Objects were social and fraternal.
San Francisco Bicycle Club. Organized December 13, 1878. Number of members, sixty-four active wheelmen. Met at Club Rooms, 110 McAllister street.
San Francisco Grutli-Verein. Organized September, 1874. Number of members, about two hundred twenty. Objects were the cultivation of music, social entertainments, and to assist its members in sickness.
San Francisco Maennerchor. Organized 1865. Number of members, seventy. Met at Turn Verein Hall, 323 Turk street. Object was the cultivation of music.
San Francisco Scottish Thistle Club. Organized March 18, 1882; incorporated October 27, 1887. Number of members, six hundred. Met at 32 O'Farrell street. Objects were to preserve the athletic games as practiced in "Auld Scotis," and promote a due appreciation among Scotchmen of the maners and healthful exercises of their native land and encourage the establishment of literary exercises and lectures, and the cultivation of Scottish music, dances, language, poetry and song.
San Francisco Turn Verein. Organized 1852. Hall, south side of Turk street, between Leavenworth and Hyde. Number of members, about four hundred; forty were attached to vocal department and forty-five to the rifle section. In connection with the association, a Verein existed for boys, from fourteen to eighteen, which numbers ninety members, and was called the Zoeglings Verein. Social meetings held for members included dramatic entertainment. Other attachments to this Verein included a school for boys and girls from seven to fourteen years and numbered over three hundred pupils, a relief society numbering two hundred members for relief of sick members, and a Gymnasium comprising over two hundred members.
San Francisco Yacht Club. Organized July, 1869; reorganized July, 1873. Number of members, one hundred. Headquarters, Club House, Saucelito. Local office, 220 Market street.
Schultz Jr. Zither Club. Organized January 2, 1889. Met at 523 Front street. Objects were social and musical.
Seventh Regiment Veterans of the Pacific. Organized October 1, 1875. Number of members, seventy. Objects were to perpetuate a friendly feeling among the ex-members of the Seventh Regiment (New York City), residing on the Pacific Coast.
Society of California Volunteers. Organized November 20, 1865. Annual meeting was held on the twenty-fifth day of April, the anniversary of General E. V. Sumner assuming the command of the Department of California. Composed of the officers of the California Volunteers, U. S. A.
Society of True Friends. Met at 35 Eddy street. Object was social.
Swiss Rifle Club. Organized September 1, 1860. Number of members, fifty. Met at Swiss Hotel, 627 Commercial street.
Turn-Verein Vorwarts. Organized January 11, 1880. Number of members, about one hundred. Met at 310 O'Farrell street. Object was the cultivation of gymnastic exercises.
United Friends of California. Instituted June 9, 1886. Number of members, about three hundred. Met at Druids' Hall.
Verein Eintracht. Organized May, 1868; reorganized December, 1873. Number of members, fourteen hundred. Met at their Hall, 316 Post street. Objects were to foster and cultivate the musical and dramatic arts, to give social and literary entertainments, and to assist its members in sickness and times of need. In connection with this society, a gymnastic section was maintained.
Veteran Firemans' Association of California. Organized January 10, 1888. Headquarters and reading rooms, Pioneer Building, 24 Fourth street. Sons of Firemen twenty-one years of age as well as Veterans were eligible to membership.
Veterans of the California Hundred and Battalion. Organized May 1, 1866. Number of members, originally one hundred and eight-two, comprising the survivors of the five hundred men in the California Battalion and California Hundred at their discharge in August, 1865. Held an Annual Reunion on April 9, each year, the anniversary of Lee's surrender.
Yale Club of California. Organized September 1, 1877. Number of members, seventy-five.
St. Mary's C. T. A. B. and L. Association. Met in basement of St. Mary's Cathedral.
St. Patrick's C. T. A. B. Society. Met in basement of St. Patrick's Church.
Champions of the Red Cross. Supreme Council organized October 22, 1874. Local Encampments included: Golden Gate, Templar, and Mount Horeb. Object was the mutual relief for sickness, in connection with a life-insurance system upon a mutual protective basis.
Father Mathew Total Abstinence and Benevolent Society. Organized May, 1869. Number of members, three hundred. Met at 121 Eddy street.
Home for the Care of Inebriates. Organized May 24, 1859. The property occupied by the institution, northeast corner of Stockton and Chestnut streets, was purchased in 1862, enlarged in 1877, and improved in 1885.
Independent Order of Good Templars. Grand Lodge of California organized May 29, 1860. Number of members, about thirteen thousand. Number of working lodges was two hundred and fifty. Local Bands included: Good Templars Band of Hope, Hickman Mission, Son of Hope, Western Star, Little Sunbeams, Olivet, Golden Harvest, Spring Valley, Christian, Headlight, Central Star, R. H. McDonald, Hayes Valley. Local Lodges included: San Francisco, Evening Star, Olive, International, Valley, Spring, and Hickman.
San Francisco Marine Temperance Society. Organized March 22, 1866. Number of members, three thousand five hundred. Met at Mariners' Church, northeast corner of Sacramento and Drumm streets.
Sailor's Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Met at northeast corner of Sacramento and Drumm streets.
Sons of Temperance. Office, 997 Market street. Local Divisions included: New Era and Silver Star.
Women's Christian Temperance Union. Headquarters, 132 McAllister street. Number of members, five thousand (two hundred thousand nationally). There were 160 Unions in the State. This society was the largest ever composed exclusively of women and conducted entirely by them.