San Francisco History

San Francisco Hospital
1928


HISTORY OF SAN FRANCISCO HOSPITAL.

SITUATED on gently sloping ground in the region of the city known as the warm belt of the Mission, stands the San Francisco Hospital. The buildings are designed on the ensemble plan, the Italian Renaissance style of architecture prevailings, with the main walls in rich colored brick with terra cotta trimmings.

In reviewing the events which culminated in the building of the present hospital, we find that the original San Francisco Hospital was built in 1872, being a three story wooden structure occupying the site of the present hospital. As the needs arose, increased additions were made, until an area of over one square city block was covered. After the great fire of 1906, the hospital which had been used for the care of the sufferers of the bubonic plague, was condemned as unsanitary and later was burned. The functioning unit of the hospital was then accomodated in the newly constructed Relief Home. The necessity for a new hospital as now urgent so by means of a two million dollar bond issue, voted for in June, 1906, and with the aid of subsequent donations, making a total of three and one-half million dollars, the present location of the hospital was purchased, and construction of the new edifice was commenced the same year.

The year 1915 witnessed the completion of the hospital as it stands today. It covers an area of two square city blocks. The main hospital is constructed in such a manner that each of the four wings of the building have a direct connection with each other, and with a main administration office by means of a spacious corridor. Each ward can accommodate thirty-two patients and is individually equipped with a treatment room, linen room, diet kitchen with dining room attached, and a large solarium. This main hospital has a capacity for six hundred patients.

Located at the north end of the hospital is the receiving building which serves the manifold purpose of receiving patients entering the hospital; for use as an emergency hospital; for treatment of minor cases. Pre-natal and post-natal work is also carried on in this department.

On the second floor of the admission building the surgery is located. It is accessible to the surgical wards, and also all cases from the five out-lying emergency hospitals are easily conveyed here.

At the south end of the hospital is the Nurses' Home. This home is a three story brick structure with every modern convenience to make home life of the student nurses comfortable. The grounds surrounding are attractive with lawns and gardens. In considering the complementary buildings of the hospital the tuberculosis department is the largest. It has a capacity of three hundred and fifty patients. Outdoor sleeping porches form a part of each ward. During the past year a children's tuberculosis department has been added where the children have plenty of fresh air and sunlight, arranged for by means of large sun porches. The grounds about this building are beautiful with its gardens and lawns.

A special department of instructional therapy is carried on whereby the patients who are able are kept occupied with pleasing interesting work.

In the Isolation Department, communicable diseases, of every nature, are treated. This unit functions individually so as to allow no cross infection to the other part of the hospital. Students training here have unusual opportunities for clinical study and through the ambulance service, to study home conditions, as well as the hospital aspect.

oOo

Photo: San Francisco Hospital
PHOTO: Isolation Department
PHOTO: Tuberculosis Department
  PHOTO: Mission Emergency
PHOTO: Hospital Entrance
PHOTO: Nurses' Home
PHOTO: Dispensary / Children's Ward
PHOTO: Gate House / Diet Laboratory
PHOTO: Surgery / Emergency Amphitheatre
PHOTO: Information Desk / Admission Desk

Source: The Cap and Seal, The Annual of the San Francisco Hospital School of Nursing, 1928, San Francisco Hospital, San Francisco.; pages 2, 49, 52, 54, 55, 76, 77
Return

Return to San Francisco Genealogy
Public Commons License