San Francisco History
 

Lone Mountain Cemetery


Dates of Existence: May 1854 to 1862
Location: between 162 and 170 square acres
Number interred: 7,000 (1862)
Moved to: see individual cemeteries
Notes: this cemetery was divided into the Calvary, Odd Fellow's, Masonic, and Laurel Hill cemeteries
"REPAIRING THE CEMETERY ROAD.   The road leading from Bush street to the Lone Mountain Cemetery, is undergoing repairs.  The sand has drifted over the road in many places, and rendered it almost impassable.  When thoroughly repaired, the red line of omnibuses will run to the Cemetery on Sundays, by agreement with the road company."

Source: Daily Alta California, 6 January 1858.


"The Cemeteries of San Francisco. . .LONE MOUNTAIN. Lone Mountain Cemetery, now the chief burial place of San Francisco, is a tract of 170 acres, nearly square in form, 2 1/4 miles west of Montgomery street, and three-fourths of a mile south of the Golden Gate. It was dedicated with public ceremonies on the 30th May, 1854, on which occasion, Bishop Kip and Colonel Baker delivered addresses, and Frank Soule read a poem. The first internment there was made on the 2d June and in that month the total number was 12. After August very few interments were made at Yerba Buena. At first, the usual route to Lone Mountain was by way of Pacific street, but in the later part of 1854, Bush street was opened, and is now used in preference to all others. The main entrance is on Bush street. The present propriertors of the Cemetery are J. H. Atkinson, C. C. Butler, and Nathaniel Gray. They think there is room in the Cemetery to bury all of the dead of San Francisco for half a century to come. Twenty miles of avenues were laid out through the grounds, but many of them were not used for years, and they have been overgrow with bushes. The whole number of persons buried at Lone Mountain is near 7,000. About 75 persons are buried there monthly on an average. . . .The Chinese have a vault in which they deposit those corpses which are to be sent to China.  The Protestant Orphan Asylum, the Typographical Union, several lodges of Odd Fellows, and the Firemen, have their respective lots in which their dead are to be buried. . ."

Source: Daily Alta California, 22 July 1862.


Return

Return to San Francisco Genealogy
Public Commons License