Home of Peace (old) Cemetery
Dates of Existence: 1849 to 1860?
Location: corner of Green and Gough streets.
Number interred: 15 (1851)
Moved to: unknown
FUNERAL OF MR. BACH.—The funeral of Mr.
Joseph Bach, who was burned in the fire of June 22d, took place yesterday
afternoon, from the store of Messrs. Levy & Woolf, corner of Clay and
Montgomery street. The remains of Mr. Bach which were found, consisted
of a portion of the heart, the thorax, and the bones of the lower limbs,
all burned and blackened by the fire. The remains were identified in a
most singular manner. Mr. Bach, who had been for some time troubled with
an affection of the spine had been in the habit of wearing a plaster, a
portion of which was found attached to the spine. The misery that he must
have endured can scarcely be imagined. The funeral was attended by a large
number of Masons in regalia, and many of Mr. Bach's Jewish brethren. The
procession numbered some three or four hundred, and moved out to the Jewish
burial ground on the road to the Presidio, where the remains were deposited
with the impressive ceremonies of the Masonic order, and the rites of the
Jewish church. The burial ground of the Israelites is on a hill to the
left of the Laguna, and already contains some twelve or fifteen graves.
Source: Daily Alta California, 30 June 1851.
"THE HEBREW CEMETERIES.—The first Hebrew
burial place established in San Francisco was in the fall of 1849, at a
small place near the Presidio road. It was presented to the Israelites
of San Francisco for this special purpose, and for a long time it not only
served as a resting place of the dead of this city, but was also used by
the Jews in other parts of California—the bodies having been sent hither
from Sacramento, Stockton and Marysville. The land was deeded to
the Presidents of the Israelitish Societies of this city, and has been
used for that purpose until the present day.
The enclosure was a little less than an acre in extent. It was
fenced in with wooden pickets and quite secluded from the world.
The locality though appropriate—being far removed from the profane trend
of a busy city, and where the lonely character of the site was well adapted
to its scared character, was nevertheless ill adapted for burial purposes,
owing to the sandy nature of the soil, in the summer time especially, being
exposed to the full sweep of the gales, the slight covering was not unfrequently
blown away and the coffins exposed. The frequent mournful trains
wending their way to the "Home of Peace," as the descendants of Abraham
beautifully denominate their burial places, at last so nearly filled up
the little space that our Hebrew citizens saw the necessity of establishing
Though something of a difference has existed for some time among those
of the Jewish persuasion, this ground was the common property of all.
At present, the ground is full—only room for about twenty more graves exists.
The differences is religious opinions resulted in the establishment of
separate societies—the Sherith Israel, embracing the Jews from Poland and
the far North of Europe, preferring to retain their ancient formalities;
while the remainder, keeping pace with the times, advocated the introduction
of certain innovations. It being found distasteful to one sect to
have a common burial-ground each made arrangements to purchase one for
themselves—the First Hebrew Benevolent Society acting with the Sherith
Israel congregation, and the Eureka Benevolent Society with the others.
. . ."
Source: Daily Alta California, 27 July 1860.
"The Cemeteries of San Francisco. . .EARLY
JEWISH CEMETERY. In 1849, the Jews, who always have a separate burying
place for all people of thier faith, established a cemetery near the line
of Pacific street, several hundred yards beyond Larkin, and there they
continued to bury their dead until with a couple of years."
Source: Daily Alta California, 22 July 1862.
San Francisco Genealogy
Public Commons License