First Street Cemetery
Dates of Existence: unknown
Location: First street
Number interred: unknown
Moved to: Yerba Buena Cemetery
"THE CITY’S DEAD. . .Other burials were made on the ground
now covered by the Mercantile Library, and also on First street.
In the year 1850 the city purchased the property now known as the New City
Hall ground, which was then on the very outskirts of the city, and dedicated
it to burial purposes, naming it Yerba Buena Cemetery.
To this retired spot, overgrown with chaparral and wild flowers, and far
removed from the turmoil and bustle of the mining camp of 1850, were taken,
with confiding assurance of their permanent rest, the earthly remains of
the departed. . ."
Source: San Francisco Daily Evening Post. 16 November
Return to San Francisco Genealogy
Public Commons License