Extractions from
by John P. Young
Pacific Coast and Exposition Biographies
San Francisco, California, 1915

Thank you to Beth Humphrey for transcribing and submitting this material.

Alfred C. Rulofson (page 319)
     Few San Franciscans have given so much time, attention and money to the upbuilding of their city, or have worked so consistently for the general advancement of the community, as has Alfred C. Rulofson, head of the A. C. Rulofson Company, general Western stales agent for the Pittsburgh Steel Company and for other industrial concerns of high repute.  In his many years inn business in San Francisco, Mr. Rulofson has stood in the foreground, as a layman, in the conduct of municipal affairs.
     Mr. Rulofson was born October, 26, 1853, at Sonora, Tuolumne County, Cal., son of William H. Rulofson and Amelia V. (Currie) Rulofson, and was educated in the public schools of Sonora and San Francisco and at Brayton’s College in Oakland.  In 1868 he went directly from school to the San Francisco offices of the Russell & Hamilton.  So indefatigably did he work with his new employers that they made him business manager, a position he held until 1904.  And not a little of the firm’s present standing is due to his tireless energy while he was guiding its affairs.
     Leaving Baker & Hamilton, Mr. Rulofson organized the A. C. Rulofson Company and become Western sale agent for a number of manufacturers, among them the Harrisburg Pipe & Pipe Bending Company, Illinois Malleable Iron Company.  Thomas Steel Company, McKeesport Tin Plate Company, Standard Chain Company, Bettccher Manufacturing Company, Osgood Scale Company, Edwards Manufacturing Company, Charles Morrill Company, Success Manufacturing Company and Savage Tire Company.  At present he confines himself to the Pacific Coast branch of the Pittsburgh Steel Company, one of the largest concerns of its kind in America, the Briar Hill Steel Company, Illinois Malleable Iron Company and Standard Chain Company.
     Mr. Rulofson was a pioneer in the metal window frame industry, which has grown to huge proportions, and also was one of the first to deal in fireproof metal doors.  His Rulofson Underwriter Fireproof Metal Windows, manufactured along with steel office furniture and other non-inflammable materials by the Rulofson Metal Window Works, are recognized everywhere as standard.
     Going beyond his immediate interests, Mr. Rulofson has made for himself a reputation as a businessman and as a developer of business interests.  For several years he occupied with credit thee presidency of the Home Industry League of California, aiding in making gospel of the idea of “aid me and I will aid you.”  Early in March 1914, as part of a commission representing the California manufacturers and exporters, he sacrificed time and money to make a trade investigation trip to the Orient, although his own business was benefited in now way by the fund of valuable trade information he brought back.  In line with his “booster” work Mr. Rulofson also was president of the former Manufacturers’ Association, and was a member of the traffic bureau of the old a Merchants’ Exchange.
     Mr. Rulofson is the second of his name to gain wide recognition for ability in San Francisco.  His father, William H. Rulofson, during the sixties and early seventies was prominent here.  He came around the Horn from St. John’s Newfoundland, in 1851, and after a year or so of mining in Sonora returned across the plains to Missouri to meet his wife, who had journeyed alone from Newfoundland.  Retuning to California, Mr. Rulofson established in Sonora the first permanent photograph gallery in the State.  He came to San Francisco in 1861 and resumed photography under the firm name of Bradley & Rulofson.  On one occasion, when taking official photographs of fortifications for the Secretary of War, he was arrested as a Confederate spy but was released.  Photos taken by him are still extant; bearing the statement that in his gallery was the only passenger elevator in the world connected with a similar institution.
     The present Mr. Rulofson, fraternally, is a member of California Lodge No. 1, F. & A.M.; California Chapter No. 5, R.A. M.; Golden Gate Commandery No. 16, K. T., and Islam Temple of Shiners.  He also belongs to the Rotary Club and, with his wife, is prominent socially.  He is the father of five Children:  Alfred C., Jr.; Mrs. Joseph El. Cutten and Mrs. Carl Platte of San Francisco; Mrs. Henry Platte of Portland and Mrs. Zadie Riggs of Salem, Oregon.

Theodore Z. Blakeman (page 239)
     “A man advanced in years,” wrote Richard Steele, the famous essayist, “that thinks fit to look back upon his former life and calls that only life which was passed with satisfaction and enjoyment, will find himself very your, if not in his infancy.”
     Bearing in mind this truth of “The Spectator,” Theodore Z. Blakeman, pioneer San Francisco attorney at law, has indeed had a well-rounded career.  Roses were not strewn in his pathway. Indeed, he has gone through a great deal of unpleasantness.  But it has all been life, real life, and his spirit of optimism has ever prevailed.
     Born September 29, 1842, in Green County, Kentucky, Mr. Blakeman is the son of Moses Blakeman, at one time a prominent slave-owner, and of Narcissa (Rhea) Blakeman.  He is a descendant of Adam Blakeman, who landed in America in the 17th century and established the first English Episcopal Church, at Stamford, Connecticut.  Following his early education in private schools in Greensburg, near his birthplace, Mr. Blakeman entered Georgetown College, and was in his junior year there when the Civil War broke out.
     One day in 1863, when Bragg had forced back the Federals and had swept close to Cincinnati, Mr. Blakeman mounted his horse, rode into the Confederate lines and enlisted as a private in the regiment of Colonel Gano.  Subsequently he was with Morgan in the famous raid through Ohio.  The Confederates found themselves hemmed in and surrender was decided upon.  Before this took place, however, Mr. Blakeman and a comrade slipped away in the darkness, procured civilian clothes, and walking boldly into Dayton bought ticket for Detroit.  Mr. Blakeman made his way clear to Windsor, Canada, without being once challenged.
     At Windsor Mr. Blakeman stopped with the family of John Rodman, a Kentucky lawyer whom the war had forced into temporary exile.  The youth took up the study of law under Rodman, and when the latter returned home Mr. Blakeman apprenticed himself to Matthew R. Vonkoughnet, a brother of the Chancellor of the Province of Ontario..  A few months later, when General Lee surrendered, Mr. Blackman went to New York and read law in the office of John W. Ashmead, U. S. Attorney General in President Taylor’s administration.  He was admitted to practice in New York in 1866.  In 1867 he went to St. Louis and began practicing after admittance to the State and Federal courts.  In 1875 he was admitted to the U. S. Supreme Court and 1880 he came to San Francisco.
     Since that time Mr. Blakeman has enjoyed a wide and successful law practice.  From 1890 until 1896 he appeared in a notable suit against the Bank of California of San Francisco and the Rideout-Smith Bank of Oroville, in which he represented bondholders of the Spring Valley Gold Company, owners of the big Cherokee mines.  The action was very complicated and had for its basis the recovery of the mining property.  After taking the case to the Supreme Court Mr. Blakeman won for his clients and the mines were sold some years later for $160,000.
      Mr. Blakeman is perhaps best known to the present generation of attorneys by his really remarkable work on behalf of the widow of the late Thomas Bell.  When he died in 1892 Bell left an estate valued at $1,200,000.  By 1898, for one reason and another, it had dwindled to almost nothing and had $250,000 outstanding debts.  At this juncture Mr. Blakeman was retained by the widow.
     To begun with, Mr. Blakeman had the executors turned out and in 1902 had Mrs. Bell appointed general administratrix.  By suits in equity he then recovered for the estate 14,000 acres of land, on part of which oil had been discovered.  By selling part of this the estate has realized $1,780,000, and it still has left 8,000 acres for which it has been offered $2,500,000.
     Mr. Blakeman has built up this magnificent estate from next to nothing.  In fact his efforts drew from Judge Henshaw of the Supreme Court the statement in open session that:
 “I and the members of this court appreciate and have some knowledge of the great volume of evidence that has been required and the vast labor cast upon you, and can bear testimony to the great value of your services to that (Bell) estate.”
     Such a eulogy as that is so unusual as to be almost unique.  It leaves nothing to be added.

Louis P. Boardman (page 240)
     After all, there is nothing like being prepared when one sets out to accomplish some certain thing.  If a man establishes a grocery business, he succeeds if he has trained himself in this field and knows its pitfalls beforehand; he probably fails if he does not know them.  It is much the same in any line of work.  The professions – the doctor, the lawyer – are particularly required to prepare themselves well if they are to attain anything other than a mediocre success.
     Louis P. Boardman owes his achievements as a lawyer largely to the fact that when he had the opportunity to study and learn the rudiments of law he took advantage of it.  The result was that Mr. Boardman began doing things immediately after he was admitted to the bar.  And he has been doing things – big, important things – ever since.
     Born in 1874 at Reno, Nevada, Mr. Boardman is the son of Judge W. M. Boardman is the son of Judge W. M. Boardman and Mariah (Harris) Boardman.  His father was prominent in legal circles, both at the bar and on the bench, and three of his four sons, Louis P., Philip C. and Joseph Boardman, have followed in his footsteps by entering the profession also.  The elder Boardman was at one time district attorney for Washoe and Story counties, Nevada, and later on was elected judge for the same district.
    When it came time for Louis P. Boardman to seek an education he was placed in the hands of private tutors in Reno.  Later on he went for a time to the State University of Nevada at Reno, and when about 16 years old came to California with his parents.  Soon afterward he entered the University of the Pacific at Santa Clara, but when Stand University was opened at Pal Alto he enrolled at the new institution of learning as a member of its first class.  He was graduated from Stanford with the degree of A. B.
     Judge Boardman was at this time practicing law in San Francisco and the son took up his legal studies in his father’s offices.  Judge Boardman was called away oftentimes to various points in Northern California in the course of his practice, and his son on such occasions carried on the routine work here.  This gave him valuable experience along practical lines, experience which he soon was to turn to account.
     Louis P. Boardman was admitted to the bar in California and almost immediately afterward represented Theodore Durrant, convicted of murder, in Durrant’s appeal to the United States Supreme Court on a question of constitutional law.  The lower court’s ruling was affirmed by the higher tribunal, but affirmed by the higher tribunal, but Mr. Boardman was nevertheless complimented on the able manner in which he had prepared the plea.
     Mr. Boardman’s law practice is of a general nature, through largely confined to civil law.  He has appeared a great deal in probate matters and at present represents the widow in the million-dollar estate of the late George K. Porter.  This takes him to Los Angeles a great part of the time, although he maintains his permanent offices in the Crocker building, San Francisco.
      In politics Mr. Boardman is a Republican.  He has not sought political preferment, however, contenting himself merely with working on behalf of his friends.

Philip C. Boardman (page 241)
     There is such a thing as failing in a business or profession career because one does not realize that, to attain anything worth while, one must “stick close to the job.”  Pleasures allure and the enticement is to strong: or, perhaps, the mind and heart are not in the work and what seems pleasure in itself to one man appears as dull, grinding labor to another.  Once a man lets his interest wander he is almost foredoomed to failure.  He might as well quite it all right then.
      All of which is but a prelude to the statement that one of the main reasons Philip C. Boardman has succeeded in the practice of law is that he realized all this at the outset.  Then he entered upon the study of his profession he knew that it would require work—and plenty of it.  He was cognizant of the fact that years of close application were before him, and that if he were to make a name for himself among his co-practitioners he must “stick close to the job.”
      He has done so, and the results have been most gratifying.
      Mr. Boardman is a native of Nevada.  He was born at Reno, January 14, 1883.  His father was Judge W. M. Boardman, at one time district attorney for Washoe and Story Counties, Nevada, and afterward district judge for the same judicial division. He was eminently successful in the law, both as a practitioner and on the bench, and his sons came naturally by their inclination for a similar career.  Mr. Boardman’ mother was Mariah (Harris) Boardman.
      When it came time for Mr. Boardman to seek an education he was sent to the public schools of his home city.  When he was but 7 years old his parents moved to California, living for a time at Monterey and Pacific Grove.
      In 1900 Philip was graduated from the Monterey County High School.  He had long planned to follow in his father’s footsteps as a lawyer, as well as in those of his elder brother, Louis P. Boardman, who was at that time associated in practice with Samuel M. Shortridge.  He began his law studies in this office, where he remained for a little more than two years.  In the early part of 1909, having taken the necessary examinations and passed them, he was admitted to practice in the State Courts of California by motion before the District Court of Appellate District.  In 1911 he was admitted also to the United States District Court.
      Immediately following his admittance Mr. Boardman began practicing alone, and he has continued so until now..  His business is of a general nature, although the bulk of his work is in civil law.  He has practiced in every court in San Francisco and has appeared in a professional capacity also in nearly every county of California.
      One of Mr. Boardman’s coups was his rejuvenation of the Combined Oil Company, for which he is general counsel.  The concern’s property in the North Midway field was, three years or so ago, in debt to the extent of $100,000.  Mr. Boardman was retained to take charge of the situation, and he not only put the corporation entirely out of debt but he accumulated for it assets which today are in excess of a quarter of a million dollars.  This was another result of close application, coupled with the ability to see through and unravel a complex problem, keeping in touch with all the details as the matter worked itself out.
      Although his political leanings are toward the Republican part, Mr. Boardman is a politician in no sense other than that he is naturally interested in anything that affects the city or the nation in which he lives and works.  He has never sought office,, nor has he been active politically except on behalf of a friend whom he felt worthy of the preferment sought.
      His flourishing practice has also kept Mr. Boardman to busy to take part in matters of a social or fraternal nature and he has done little along wither line.  He is unmarried.

Herbert F. Briggs (page 243)
     If diversified experience has anything to do with a man’s success – and almost anyone will aver that I does have a lot to do with it – then Herbert F. Briggs should accomplish as much in the practice of law as he accomplished in the ministry or in the world of business.  For he has really seen life from a great many angles – seen it at its best and at its worst, with plenty of the mediocre in between.
     Ever since he was a youth Mr. Briggs had been attracted to the law as a profession.  But his desire to become a lawyer was outweighed by another desire, that to help men who needed help.  He would have gone into social service had such a thing been as well defined then as it is today.  But at that time the church seemed to him to be the only medium through which he could work – so he entered the church.
     Mr. Briggs was born March 16,1866, at Sacramento, California, and his father, Martin Clock Briggs, was a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  His mother was Ellen (Green) Briggs, a native of New York State.  The elder Briggs came to San Francisco on the vessel that brought Francisco on the vessel that brought the news of California’s admittance into the Union.
     The present Mr. Briggs was educated in the Lincoln School of San Francisco, having moved to this city with his parents when he was about 12 years old.  He was graduated from the Alameda High School in 1884, and after attending for a time Evanston Academy at Evanston, Ill., entered Northwestern University of Evanston.  He received the degree of A. B. from this institution in 1889, and after three years in the Boston University School of Theology was given the degree of S. T. B. in 1892.  The same year, by virtue of independent study, he gained the degree of A. M. from Northwestern.
     By this time Mr. Briggs’ plans for entering the ministry had crystallized.  In 1890 he had entered the California Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in 1892 he formally entered the ministry, although his final ordination did not come until 1894.  His first pastorate was at Loss Gatos, California.  Three years he remained there, but in 1895 was transferred to Santa Cruz, where he served two years more.
     At this juncture Mr. Briggs, desiring to further his erudition the better to equip himself for the work that was to follow, spent a year and half at the University of Berlin, specializing in New Testament Greek and theology.  Then he spent an unusually productive period of six months reading theology in the library of the British Museum in London.  He returned home in 1899 to accept the chair of New Testament Greek in the Iliff School of Theology in Denver, but the next year returned to the California Conference.
      Placed in charge of the work of the City Missionary Society of San Francisco 1900, Mr. Briggs occupied the position for one year, or until 1901, when he and his brother, A. H. Briggs were made joint pastors of Central M. E. Church, San Francisco.  In 1903, however, under the firm and honest conviction that he could not accomplish in the ministry what he desired to accomplish he – resigned in good standing and withdrew.
     For the succeeding five years Mr. Briggs gained exceedingly valuable experience in the business world, along various lines.  During this period he made a business trip around the world, his journey taking him to Africa, England, Australia, the Philippines, Japan, China and Hawaii.  By this time the way was open for him to study law, and he took advantage of it, pursuing his work privately for three years.  He passed the examinations before the District Court of Appeal and was admitted to the bar May 4, 1911.
      Ever since then Mr. Briggs has been practicing law independently.  He confines himself largely to civil law, with very little criminal work, and most of his practice is along probate and corporation law lines.
     Mr. Briggs is a Republican but not active in politics, although he served as a member of the Board of Library Trustees of Berkeley and also as member of the Berkeley Board of Education.  He belongs to the Masonic order, San Francisco Commandery No. 42, Knights Templar, to the Elks and to the Beta Theta Pi fraternity.  He was marred August 6, 1892, in Evanston, Ill., to Miss Sara M. Foster.  The couple have had two sons, Arthur Foster Briggs, now dead, and Herbert Mitchem Briggs, aged 13.

William H. Byington, Jr. (page 244)
     The dealer in financial securities occupies an important place in the business community.  If he is capable, if he builds up his clientele and gains the confidence of investors, he may become one of the foremost figures in industrial progress.
     Land does not develop itself; money is needed to start colonization going.  Industries do not spring into popular favor without much preliminary labor and exploitation and the erection of factories, and for all this there is needed capital.  Everywhere one turns, one sees industries of a hundred different natures, which, were it not for proper financing, would not, could not, exist.
     William H. Byington, Jr., dealer in first mortgage bonds and consistent booster for his native State, has for the last decade devoted this time to the financing of California industrial projects.  When call upon to provide money for a meritorious business cause, he has gone forth and secured it, no matter how great a sum might be required.  His deals have run into the millions, and not only from other sections of the United States but from Europe has the needed capital been brought.
     Born August 29, 1882, at Downieville, Sierra County, Mr. Byington is the son of William H. Byington and Nellie Frances (McDonald) Byington.  The family removed to San Francisco in 1889 and Mr. Byington attended the public schools of this city, being graduated from Lowell High School in 1901.
      In 1902 Mr. Byington entered the law department of the United Railroads of San Francisco as an adjuster of damage claims.  He remained with this corporation until 1907 when he became interested in the sale of bonds and entered this new field, where he has since mapped out his career.

Alfred Austen Cohen (page 248)
     The province of an attorney at law is just as he himself defines it.  He may restrict himself to the preparation and trial of legal issues after the controversy has reached the point where only a court can settle it; he may act, rather, in an advisory capacity, with the idea of forestalling lawsuits or of comprising without going into court at all – or he may make of himself a combination of lawyer and business promoter, thereby assuming a double role.
     Alfred Austen Cohen has extended his operations as an attorney so as to include all of these.  When he was but 21 years old he organized and financed the Jamaica Storage Warehouse Company in New York City, with $100,000 capital stock, fully paid up.  Within the past year he has promoted successfully the $1,000,000 Independent Ice & Cold Storage Company of San Francisco, which bids fair to become one of the largest corporations of its kind on the Pacific Coast.
     Born November 4, 1886, in New York City, Mr. Cohen is the son of Koppel Cohen, a builder, and Ann (Rosenthal) Cohen.  He attended the public schools and the Jamaica High School of New York City, and from there went to the law school of the University of Denver.  After about a year at this institution he continued his studies at the Brooklyn Law School of St. Lawrence University, Brooklyn, N. Y., and finished the course in 1907.
     It was just after he finished school that Mr. Cohen, seeing the opportunity to launch a warehouse enterprise, organized the Jamaica Storage Warehouse Company, of which he became president and general manager.  In the succeeding four years he became prominent in this field of business, being a member of the executive committee of the New York Furniture Warehouseman’s Association.  He still represents, in a legal way, a number of warehouse concerns, and occasionally writes legal opinions on such matters for storage warehouses all over the country.
     In 1911 Mr. Cohen came to Nevada and was admitted to the bar in October of that year before the Supreme Court at Carson City.  A few days later he gained admittance also before the Supreme Court of California at Sacramento.  He practiced at Reno, however, until Jun 1, 1913, when he came to San Francisco and opened offices here.  While in Nevada he was attorney for a number of corporations, among them the Union Oil Company and the Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company.  He is at present general counsel for several corporations in this city, and also is the legal representative of the San Francisco Property Owners’ Association.
     After a year of preliminary work and negotiations, Mr. Cohen caused to be incorporated June 4, 1915, the Independent Ice & Cold Storage Company, by the aid of Eastern capital.  The capitalization of $1,000,000 is fully paid up and the concern will begin actual operations as soon as its factory is completed.  At the outset the company will confine itself largely to a development of the local market, but later on it will extend its business throughout the State.  It expects to offer strong competition in the manufacturing and sale of ice and in the maintenance and operation of cold storage warehouses.  Mr. Cohen is a director of the new corporation and its general attorney.
     Mr. Cohen is a member of the San Francisco Bar Association, the San Francisco Commercial Club, the New York Society of California and the Independent Order of B’nai B’rith.  He was married in San Francisco April 21, 1915, to Edna B. Sonnenfeld, daughter of Abraham and Ida Meyer Brown, and resides at the Richelieu Hotel.  His offices are in the Insurance Exchange building.
     Although he may be classed among the younger generation of San Francisco attorneys, Mr. Cohen has already carved out for himself a career that many older members of his profession might well envy.  He has found a happy combination of abilities.  He was long enough in business to learn its tenets as thoroughly as he has learned those of the profession of the law.  And with such a ‘stock in trade,’ many more big things–things that ultimately will prove a great benefit to the community—may well be expected of him.

Francis Marion Colvin (page 249)
     All the world admires a self-made man.  The one who fights his way alone against adversity in hewing out a career has certain attributes not found in the individual places.  And there are attributes, which have much to do with our civilization.
     Had Francis Marion Colvin, San Francisco attorney, been over chary in his youth of soiling his hands with work or of burning the midnight oil over some volume of learning—this story probably would not be told.  But he was not, so long as he gained the end he sought.
     Francis M. Colvin was born March 21, 1870, on a farm in Oswego County, New York, son of John C. Colvin and Susan B. (Wallace) Colvin.  The winter months found him at school and the summer months he spent helping his father till the farm.  Time that might have been passed in play he employed in clearing land and plowing, and hauling tan-back and railroad ties with an ox team.  Thus he learned when still a mere boy, what it meant to work for what he received.  At times he “hired out” as farm hand to neighbors.  The job always was tough, the pay always slight; but what pennies he could spare went for books, which he read with avidity.
     How hard earned was Mr. Colvin’s money may be illustrated by a story.  One winter there was an unusually heavy snowfall and the snow banked up five or six feet deep on the schoolhouse and outbuildings.  Fearing it would cause damage the school trustees employed young Colvin to shovel it off.  The work was difficult, the climbing dangerous; but the boy accomplished it satisfactorily, whereupon he received—twenty-five cents.  And to collect the money he had to walk twelve miles through the snow for an order from the school clerk, return it to the trustees for their signatures, take it back to the clerk to be signed by him, and then present it to the school treasurer for payment!
     Then thirteen years old Mr. Colvin left home to make his own way.  He continued attending school and working at odd jobs, by which he managed to support himself.  At fifteen-he began a course at Leonardsville Academy, Leonardsville, New York, working his way through in three years.  He specialized pedagogy, and after passing the examinations was, at the age of eighteen, a licensed schoolteacher.  His first school was at East Winfield, New York, where he taught a year, then removed to Nebraska and taught there another year. The Far West attracted him and he went to Western Washington, where he taought eight years more.
     Mr. Colvin was essentially of that sturdy type of schoolmaster who sets an example of the right as well as of conduct before his pupils.  During the vacation period he worked the harder.  One year he donned overalls and secured a place as laborer on the grading of the C.B.&Q. Railroad in Nebraska.  Another he labored in a brickyard; again he lived the rough life of the logging camp; and still again he pushed a wheelbarrow on the grade of the Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad.  In Washington he successfully handled real estate and insurance as a sideline and one year, between school seasons, pursued the same work in San Francisco.
     Where there is a determination to succeed, there usually is a way.  Mr. Colvin found it by taking up two Government claims of 320 acres, one a homestead.  The latter was in the midst of a dense forest four miles from the nearest neighbor and in order to perfect his title Mr. Colvin was obliged to build a cabin and live there.  He broke a trail through virtually primeval woods and spent upward of six years in this sylvan retreat.  There was where the plucky schoolmaster really learned the value of good books as companions.  Caring his books into the woods on his back he delved into them, gaining a thorough knowledge of general literature.  St the same time he became an expert woodsman and horseman.
     Abandoning teaching in 1898, Mr. Colvin traveled for a year selling furniture.  His spare moments he had spent studying law.  In 1899 he became a student in the office of John W. James Anaconda, Montana, working in the copper mills to pay his way.  Subsequently he attended Northern Indiana University,, graduated and entered the law department of Yale, which awarded him his LL.B. in June, 1905.  After several months of special study he was admitted to the bar in California in 1906 and has since practiced law in San Francisco with ever-increasing success.

Henry Lysander Corson (page 250)
     If a man is to accomplish anything in his struggle with the world, he must have the backing of capital, which may be either money or a certain amount of “mother wit.” just how much capital, and what sort, is required to attain success depends largely upon the man himself.  Some men have been enabled to get a start with as little as a dollar; in the case of some others, ten thousand dollars would not be half enough.
     When Henry Lysander Corson, now a San Francisco attorney at law, started out to secure a practical education in the Dirigo Business College at Augusta, Maine, his father gave him $100.  Thereafter he made his own way, teaching school that he might attend school, and otherwise bestirring himself for a livelihood.
     Mr. Corson was born on a farm in Canaan, Maine, July 26, 1870.  His parents were Lysander Hartwell Corson and Susan C. (Morrison) Corson and were the youngest of a family of seven, nearly all of who came to California in the early days and still reside here.
     Mr. Corson was naturally precocious in his books..  He had not been enabled to attend school between the age of 13 and 17, but when he did get the opportunity he took full advantage of it.  He attended East Corinth Academy at East Corinth, Maine, for a time, and then taught for about a year in county schools, two terms at Skowegan and one term at Clinton.  Wishing to prepare himself for college he entered Higgins’ Classical Institution at Charleston, largely because a schoolteacher of his youth was then principal there.  He was graduated from Higgins’ in 1892 with the college preparatory degree, being one of the Institution’s first alumni.
     Finances—or, rather, the lack of them—still stood between Mr. Corson and the coveted college course.  To overcome this he went back to teaching.  For a year he was principal of the high school at New Vineyard, Maine, there after accepting a better position as principal of the Standish, Maine, high school, and after another year going to a still better post as principal of the high school at York Harbor, Maine.  Then, being in a position to carry out his plans, he matriculated at Colby College of Waterville, Maine, which graduated him in 1898 with the degree of A. B.   While in college Mr. Corson became a member of the Chi Chapter of the Zeta Psi fraternity, and was particularly active in student affairs.  His class was the largest that had ever entered Colby up to that time and it more championships of various kinds than any preceding class.  Although not an athlete himself, Mr. Corson was elected general manager of the college athletics for a year.  He managed the football team of ’97, which, for the first time in Colby’s history, overcame every eleven in sight, losing not a single game.
     Leaving Colby, Mr. Corson began his study of the law in the offices of Edmund F. Webb of Waterville, then one of the best-known lawyers in Maine.  Soon afterward Mr. Webb died, and Senator Charles F. Johnson took over his offices.  With him Mr. Corson continued his studies until he was admitted to the bar before the Supreme Court of Maine at Bath on August 28, 1900, after which he practiced his profession in Waterville for about a year.
     In 1901 Mr. Corson came west to California and was married February 21, 1901, and a month or so later opened offices in San Francisco, where he has continued in general law practice ever since, with considerable corporation and probate work.  Today he is president and general counsel of the Gold Star Mining Co., general counsel for the King Placer Mining Co., and has been counsel for the Knights of the Maccabees.  He is past-president of the State of Maine Society of California and a member of the Iroquois Club, has held various offices in the fraternal orders of the Masons, Druids and Maccabees, and is a Knights Templar.
     Mr. Corson is a nephew of the late Dighton Corson, a renowned lawyer, once Attorney General of Nevada and later Chief Justice o the Supreme Court of South Dakota.

Charles H. Crocker (page 253)
     The correct way thoroughly to learn a business or profession is to start in at the bottom and work one’s way upward until the highest pinnacle is attained.  The man who does this is reasonable certain that when he at length reaches the goal he will be able to maintain himself there; the man who gets there by the money or influence route is, on the other hand, as the insurance agent would say, a decidedly bad risk.
     When H. S. Crocker, founder of the flourishing publishing and stationery house of H. S. Crocker Company, introduced into the business his son, Charles Henry Crocker, he encouraged the young man to befit right at the beginning and work his way up.  Charles H. Crocker heeded the advice and followed it.  Today he is at the head of the business.
     Mr. Crocker was born August 29, 1865, at Sacramento, in whose pubic schools he received his early training.  When nine years old he came to San Francisco with his parents and attended the public schools of this city, matriculating in 1883 at the University of California.  He was graduated in 1887 with the degree of A. B.  His business training began at once.
     The house of Crocker was established in 1856 at Sacramento.  In 1872 the San Francesco branch was opened and gradually the branch outgrew the parent establishment, although the latter is still maintained.  In 1890 the business was incorporated under the name of H. S. Crocker Company. In 1912 the stationery and publishing concern of Cunningham, Curtiss & Welch of San Francesco and Los Angeles was purchased.  This gives the Crocker company three houses, those at San Francisco and Sacramento under its own name and that at Los Angeles retaining the name of Cunningham, Curtiss & Welsh Company. (Note: Welsh and Welch is correct as to the article.)
     At the outset the present Mr. Crocker became an apprentice in his father’s lithographing department.  There was no favoritism shown him, no lessening of his work because he was the proprietor’s son.  Successively, he passed through the printing, binding, engraving and stationery branches, then gained experience as a clerk and at length, proving his general capability, was elected one of the company directors.  Subsequently he became treasurer, then vice-president, and upon the death in 1904 of his father, assumed the presidency.
     A great deal of the satisfying growth of the combined concern has been due to the unremitting work of Mr. Crocker.  Today the H. S. Crocker Company is the largest of its kind west of Chicago.  Its stationary, manufacturing and selling department is one of the largest in the United States and it owns the biggest and most up-to-date printing plant this side of St. Louis.  Its book stock funds are into the millions and it also does a large business in office furniture and fixtures.
     What with the exceptional service the company has given in the past, together with an even better service at present made possible by an extension of its plant, “Crocker Quality” has come to have a great deal of significance.  Every contract accepted by the H. S. Crocker Company in printing, binding and lithographing is manufactured complete in its own factory, by skilled mechanics; and every bit of work passes through hands of exacting inspectors to insure its faultlessness and growth.  This firm is the pioneer railroad ticket printer of the west.  Crocker lithographs and blank books, like Crocker stationery, are recognized as standard.  Its plant, housed in two immense Class A buildings, contains more than 140,000 square feet of floor space, well lighted, airy and scrupulously clean.
     Mr. Crocker is resident of the H. S. Crocker Realty Company in addition to being president of the H. S. Crocker Company of San Francisco and Sacramento and of Cunningham, Curtiss & Welch Company of Los Angeles; he is vice-president of the American National Bank and the Italian-American Bank of San Francisco and the Giant Powder Company, Consolidated; and a director of the Union Sugar Company, the Alameda Sugar Company and the Agricultural Credit Corporation.
     He is affiliated with no fraternities, but is a life member of the Olympic Club, commodore of the Pacific Motor Boat Club and holds active membership in the Bohemian Club, San Francisco Press Club, San Francisco Commercial Club. He is chairman of the convention committee of the National Association of Stationers, which met in San Francisco in October 1915.
     Mr. Crocker was married in 1905 at Del Monte to Carlotta L. Steiner.  His home is at Belvedere.

Return to 'Journalism in California' Index
Return to San Francisco Genealogy