San Mateo County Genealogy

Place Names
in San Mateo County


USGS Place Names

City and Towns
Atherton
Belmont
Brisbane
Burlingame
Colma
Daly City
East Palo Alto
Foster City
Half Moon Bay
Hillsborough
Menlo Park
Millbrae
Pacifica
Pescadero
Portola Valley
Redwood City
San Bruno
San Carlos
San Mateo
Searsville
South San Francisco
Woodside


Adobe Corner
[372534N 1221555W] (16)
Allied Arts (aka Stanford Park)
A neighborhood in current Menlo Park, located in the area between Arbor Road, Middle Avenue, El Camino Real and the creek. In 1929, Garfield and Delight MERNER purchased 3.5 acres of what was once part of Rancho de las Pulgas at the edge of present-day Palo Alto.  They created a quiet, peaceful place for artists to work.  (9)(10)(14)
Amesport
Also known as Amesport Landing [372935N  1222735W].  North of current Half Moon Bay, named for Josiah P. AMES, an early resident who became a state legislator and later the warden of San Quinten prison.  Later known as Miramar.  (6)(7)(11)(16)
Angelo's Corners
In 1850 Charles Aubrey ANGELO set up a roadhouse at the intersection where Ralston Avenue and Old County Road in Belmont now cross, more specifically 1,200 feet south of Ralston Avenue between the railroad tracks and Old County Road.  He called the area Waterview., but it came to be popularly known as Angelo's Corners.  Later known as Flashner's Corners.   (1)(3)(4)(5)(6)
Año Nuevo (see Point Año Nuevo)

Aragon

A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
Arleta Park
Village located on the northern coast. (6)
Baden
Former name of South San Francisco until that town's incorporation in 1908. [373859N  1222559W]  (4)(12)(13)(16)
Barzilla
Listed as a post office.  (13)
Bayshore City
Small town in the north of the county, near the San Francisco County line, incorporated in 1932, and disincorporated in 1939.  [374223N  1222444W]   (7)(16)
Bayshore Park
A district of East Palo Alto. (18)
Baywood
Subdivision in the city of San Mateo, named for John PARROTT's home, which he called Baywood.  The house was located on the present site of the Baywood Apartments on West Third Avenue.  It was first the home of Frederick MACONDRAY (who called it Brookside, and sold it to PARROTT in 1860), then Alvinza HAYWARD.  (6)(12)(19)
Baywood Knolls
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (21)
Baywood Park
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
Belle Haven
A neighborhood in current Menlo Park, located in the triangular area of Highway 101, Willow Road, Hamilton Avenue and Terminal Avenue. It was established circa 1930. "[the] David D. Bohannon organization envisioned Belle Haven City as 'a home builder's paradise where wildflowers bloom year 'round...'" [372835N  1220930W]  (14)(16)

A district of East Palo Alto. (18)

Belle Monte
This subdivision, located in the northwest section of Belmont, was developed circa 1924 by Belmont Country Club Properies, Inc., the developers being Arthur LYON, Lawrence MILLER and Lee MONROE.  Besides naming streets in this area after themselves, they also used the names of historic area residents such as MEZES, CIPRIANI, and NEWLANDS.  [373109N  1221745W]  (3)(7)(16)
Bellvale
Listed as a post office. [371843N  1221912W]  (13)(16)
Belmae Park
Listed as a post office.  (13)
Belmont Park
Established about 1865 by Carl (aka Charles) JANKE, who is said to have patterned the park after a Hamburg biergarten of his native Germany.  Covering more than 12 acres, the park was located in the western section of Belmont, on the south side of Belmont Creek.    (3)(7)
Beresford
Early (circa 1880's) subdivision in San Mateo, south of the downtown area.  The Beresford train station is now called Hillsdale.   (12)(19)
Blenheim
Listed as a post office.  (13)
Brewer Island
Brewer Island was leveed and drained in 1905 by Frank M. BREWER, later to become the planned community of Foster City.  (4)(6)(12)
Brewer Subdivision
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Brighton Beach
Part of Sharp Park in Pacifica.  (6)
Broadmoor
[374112N  1222854W] (16)
Broadmoor Village
A small unicorporated area in the heart of Daly City.  First settled by Colma residents such as S.S. WHITE.  When the Stoneson Company began development of the area the the late 1940's, Tom CALLAN's hog ranch (although abandoned) and OLCESE's pig farm and ranch (where Westmoor High School now stands) were still nearby.  [374124N  1222848W] (8)(16)
Broadway
A "main street" in Burlingame. [374739N  1221636W] (16)
Brookside Park
A neighborhood in the current town of Portola Valley.  (14)
Buri Buri
Currently a neighborhood in South San Francisco.  Derived from Rancho Buriburi granted to José Antonio SÁNCHEZ in 1835.  Included all of modern-day South San Francisco, San Bruno, and Millbrae, and the northern part of Burlingame.  (5)(6)
Burlingame Gardens
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Burlingame Gate
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Burlingame Hills
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Burlingame Park
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Burlingame Terrace
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Burlingame Village
Formerly a portion of the MILLS estate; eventually became annexed to Burlingame.  (6)
Bútano
Area along the coast, north of Pebble Beach, south of Pescadero, once part of the Rancho Bútano granted to Ramona SANCHEZ in 1838.  Butano State Park, to the east, consists of 2,100 acres of virgin timber, the last stand in this part of the mountains.  (5) (6)
Cañada del Diablo
Historic trail in the western Belmont area, running west through what is now Ralston Avenue toward the ocean.  (1)(4)(6)
Carolands
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Centennial
A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Chestnut Station
Listed as a post office in South San Francisco. [373923N  1222557W] (16)
Clipper Ridge
An unincorporated community near El Granada. (17)
Colma Hills
In 1852 Patrick BROOKS settled on 400 acres in the center of the hills in the southern section of what is now known as the Serramonte area of Daly City.  Several years later, Harry and J.A. CHRISTEN also acquired a large portion of the hills and ran their CHRISTEN Dairy Ranch for over 50 years.  (8)
Coloma
Listed as a post office. [374012N  1222701W] (16)
Colony
Listed as a post office.  (13)
Cooley's Landing (aka Cooley Landing)
The site of the old wharf in what was then called Ravenswood, now known as East Palo Alto.  [372836N  1220714W] (5)(16)(18)
The Corners
Area near Ralston Avenue and Old County Road in Belmont (aka Angelo's Corners and Flashner's Corners ).   (4)(7)
Country Club Manor
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Crystal Springs
Settlement active in the 1850s, now covered by Lower Crystal Springs Lake. (5)
Daly's Hill
In the late 1860's, John D. DALY purchased a 250-acre ranch near Mission road, encompassing the area currently referred to as "Top of the Hill" and established the San Mateo Dairy Company.  After the 1906 earthquake, his subdivided the dairy and other land holdings in the area into home lots which were sold to the earthquake refugees on easy terms.  A town quickly developed, and in 1911 officially incorporated as Daly City.  (6)(7)(8)
Dearborn Park
Area near Pescadero/La Honda, named for Henry DEARBORN, an early lumberman.  [371532N  1221901W] (4)(16)
Devonshire
[373005N  1221658W] (16)
Dresser
[373533N  1215717W] (16)
Easton
Former town name of the present day Broadway area in the town of Burlingame, after early landowner Ansel I. EASTON.  In 1860, EASTON purchased 1,500 acres of the Buri Buri rancho, encompassing the area between Sanchez Avenue to the creek at Adeline Drive (named for his wife, Adeline MILLS).  (6)
Easton Addition
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Edgemar
Settlement that became part of the city of Pacifica in 1957.  Was the first Pacifica stop on the Ocean Shore Railroad.  [373914N  1222923W] (4) (15)(16)
El Granada
An unincorporated community along the coast.  (17)
Emerald Lake
[372800N  1221543W] (16)
Emerald Lake Hills
[372753N  1221601W] (16)

A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)

Fair Oaks
A post office by the name of Fair Oaks was established in 1867, and a railroad station existed, but the area is now known as the town of Atherton, named for Faxon Dean ATHERTON.  (5)(6)(13)

There is currently (2005) a small unincorporated neighborhood by the name of Fair Oaks located near Atherton and some residents use Menlo Park addresses. It is located in the area surrounded by Semicircular Road, Middlefield Road, Marsh Road and Edison Way (in front of the railroad).  (14)

Fairway Park
Settlement that became part of the city of Pacifica in 1957. [373715N  1222914W]  (4)(15)(16)
Farallone
Listed as a post office.   (13)
Family Farm
A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)
Farm Hill
 A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Farm Hills
[372724N  1221516W] (16)
Felton Gables
A subdivison in the Menlo Park-Atherton area. It is located "...[n]estled between Encinal Avenue and Holbrook-Palmer Park, and across the tracks from Stone Pine Lane and the nearby commercial area..." It was named for the mansion that U.S. Senator Charles N. FELTON called Felton Gables.  The home stood near Encinal Avenue and the Southern Pacific Railroad.  "...The home eventually fell into disrepair and neglect and was torn down in the 1920s, leaving the future of the area in question. In 1934, developer Jerome Proper bought land that included the Felton property and planned a development there...The neighborhood grew during World War II and the Felton Gables Association was formed in 1942..."  (5) (6) (14)
Fiesta Gardens
Residential development in San Mateo, completed in 1955.   (12)(19)
Flashner's Corners
Located at the intersection of the current Ralston Avenue and Old County Road in Belmont.  Formerly known as Angelo's Corners, purchased by Marcus FLASHNER on 10 June 1856.  A post office was established in July 1854 with Marcus FLASHNER as the postmaster.  Some of the residents who had homes in this area were Edward WALTERMIRE, Owen O'NEILL (operated the first telephone office and was one of the postmasters), Simon MEZES, Carl (aka Charles) JANKE, and William C. RALSTON.  (1)(2)(3)(6)
Flood Park Triangle (aka Lorelei Manor and Suburban Park)
A neighborhood in the current city of Menlo Park, located in the area bounded by Bay Road, Hedge Road and Flood Park.  (14)
Fog Gap
Refers to the Westlake area of Daly City.   (8)
Foothill Terrace
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (21)
Frenchman's Creek
Creek near Half Moon Bay.   (6)
Friendly Acres
A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Garden Village
Neighborhood near Broadmoor Village in the center of Daly City.   (8)
Gazos
Listed as a post office.   (13)
Glendale Village
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
Grabtown
A community of sqatters' shacks, circa 1870, above Tunitas Canyon.  Most of the sqatters were employees at Eugene FROMENT's lumber mills. [372520N  1222034W]  (7)(16)
Granada
Small historic village now in the city of Pacifica.  (6)(13)
Greersburg
Early village, named for Capt. John Greer, builder of the school, in what is now Woodside.  (22)
Haackerville
Area in what is now Woodside, formerly known as "Whiskey Hill", renamed Haackerville after being purchased by William Haacker. (22)
Harbortown
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
Harrison
Listed as a post office.  (13)
Hayward Park
Huge estate in San Mateo which was the home of Alvinza HAYWARD.  The southern portion of the estate had a lake with ducks and swans, a race track and fenced-in deer and elk.  The massive house was later used as hotel, and was completely destroyed in a spectacular fire in 1920.  Current use of the name refers to the section of San Mateo between the railroad and El Camino Real, which is just south of the where the HAYWARD house stood.  The entrance to the estate off of El Camino Real is now called Hayward Avenue.  Some of the trees on HAYWARD's estate are still growing on Hayward, Palm and Laurel Avenues.  [373316N  1221844W] (6)(12)(16)
Henderson
[372846N  1220952W] (16)
Hidden Valley
A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)
Highland Park (see San Carlos)

Highlands

[373112N  1222034W] (16)
Hillsborough Heights
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Hillsborough Hills
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Hillsborough Knolls
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Hillsborough Oaks
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Hillsborough Park
[373318N  1222128W] (16)

A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)

Hillsdale
Neighborhood in San Mateo, south of the downtown area. [373211N  1221816W]  (12)(16)(19)
Homestead
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (21)
Homeplace
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Howest
(16)
The Industrial City
Nickname for South San Francisco.  (5)
Ingold/Milldale
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Kings Mountain
Mrs. Honora (WYATT) KING operated the Kings Mountain House here.  (4)

A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)

Ladera
A unincorporated neighborhood near Portola Valley, located west of Alpine Road and surrounded by Portola Valley, Webb Ranch and Stanford University. "Founded in 1946, Ladera began as the dream of idealists who wanted to create a planned cooperative community. Although that dream eventually had to give way to commercial enterprise -- the original group ran into financial troubles -- many in Ladera today still see the legacy of that vision."   [372400N  1221150W] (14)(16)
Laguna Salada
Spanish for "salt lake";  a lagoon referred to as Laguna Salada was once part of the San Pedro grant.  Later united with Brighton Beach to become Sharp Park.  (4)(6)
La Honda
Spanish name for deep canyon:  arroyo hondo.  [371909N  1221623W]  (5)(13)(16)
Lakeshore
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
Lakeview
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Las Pulgas
Name of a tract of land granted to Don José Darío ARGÜELLO, situated along the bay between San Mateo Creek on the north and San Francisquito Creek on the south.  The land included in the original grant runs through the present day towns of San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, Atherton and Menlo Park.  (5)
Laurel
[373155N  1221824W] (16)
Laurelwood
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
Lawndale
Former name of Colma.  In 1924, when their first choice, Memorial Park, was disallowed by the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors because they had just created a new recreation center by the same name, the incorporators of the Colma area decided upon Lawndale.  Unfortunately, the US Post Office rejected that name because a Lawndale Post Office already existed in California.  They finally decided to use the old name "Colma" for their newly incorporated town.  [382517N  1223409W]  (4)(6)(8)(16)
Linda Mar
Settlement once known as Pedro Valley or San Pedro Terrace;  became part of the city of Pacifica in 1957.  [373544N  1222935W] (4)(6)(15)(16)
Lindenwood (includes Maple Manor)
A neighborhood in the current city of Atherton, located in the area between Bay and Middlefield roads, and from Marsh Road to Ringwood Avenue. "Lindenwood dates back to the late 1800s when it was the primary estate of the James Flood family. . .James C. Flood, one of the "silver kings" from the Comstock Lode, and then his son James L. Flood, took up residence in Linden Towers, dubbed the "Wedding Cake" because of its ornate white architecture. In 1935 the 44-room mansion was demolished. New homes were built in its place between 1937 and 1955 (with a large gap during the war years)." [372808N  1221050W] (14)(16)
Linfield Oaks
A neighborhood in the current city of Menlo Park. It is an 80-acre parcel bounded by San Francisquito Creek, Middlefield Road, Ravenswood Avenue and Alma Street. "...As early as 1948, Linfield Oaks is mentioned in Menlo Park's master plan as 'an experiment in planning and environmental control.' ...Most of the area was developed by Claude and Ray Lindsay between 1950 and 1955..."  (14)
Lloyden Park
A neighborhood in the current city of Atherton, located in the area surrounded by the railroad tracks, Lloyden Drive, El Camino Real, and Wilburn Avenue. "Elegant one-story homes on one-third-acre lots were built after 1940..."   (14)
Lobitas
Settlement on the coast between Purissima and San Gregorio.  [372259N  1222357W] (12)(16)
Loma Mar
Listed as a post office.  [371616N  1221827W] (13)(16)
Lomita Park
Listed as a post office.  [373700N  1222412W (13)(16)
Lorelei Manor
A neighborhood of Menlo Park. (14)
Lyon Hoag
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Los Trancos Woods
An unincorporated neighborhood near Portola Valley which lies at the southern ends of Alpine and Los Trancos roads. It was established in 1928. [372058N  1221154W] (14)(16)
Mariners Green
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
Martin's Beach
Nicholas MARTIN, who came to California circa 1850, once owned this section of beach.  [372230N  1222425W] (4)(16)
Memorial Park (Colma)
Name initially given to Colma on 11 August 1924 by Cemetery owners and residents of Colma when they decided to incorporate.  The San Mateo County Board of Supervisors informed them that the name "Memorial Park" was already in use in the county, so they proposed the name of Lawndale.   (6) (8)
Memorial Park (San Mateo)
310 acres of mountain forest along the upper Pescadero Creek, purchased by the county supervisors in 1924 for $70,000.  (7)
Menlo Oaks
An unincorporated neighborhood near Menlo Park-Atherton. It is a 106-acre area bounded by Ringwood Avenue, Bay Road, Berkeley Avenue, Coleman Avenue and Arlington Way. One of the residences in the neighborhood is the Coleman Mansion;"Built in 1882, the 22-room Italianate Victorian is among the oldest on the Peninsula. The mansion was on the former site of the 165-acre Maria O'Brien Coleman estate, which was purchased from James Flood and Robert Doyle in the late 1870s..." [372803N  1220959W] (14)(16)
Mezesville
Early name (circa 1850's) of the area now known as Redwood City.  Landowner Simon Monserrate MEZES had the area surveyed and mapped in 1854 and named it after himself.  (4)(6)
Millbrae Meadows
[373608N  1222458W] (16)
Mills Estates
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Miramar
Formerly known as Amesport.  Began with a wharf near the mouth of a small stream, Arroyo de en Medio and a pier built by J.P. AMES.  An unincorporated community.  [372935N  1222720W] (5)(6)(11)(16)(17)
Montara
Village on the coast, south of Pacifica.  [373232N  1223054W] (6)(13)(16)
Moss Beach
Village on the coast, south of Pacifica.  [373139N  1223044W] (6)(13)(16)
Mountain Home
Area southeast of the intersection of present day Portola Road and La Honda Road:  At one time this was the site of Mountain Home Ranch, part of Rancho Cañada de Raymundo that Charles BROWN purchased from John COPINGER.  (5)

A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)

Nairobi
East Palo Alto was almost renamed Nairobi in 1968. (18)
Newbridge Park
A district of East Palo Alto. (18)
North Fair Oaks
[372828N  1221144W] (16)
Oak Grove Manor
A neighborhood of Burlingame. (21)
Oak Knoll/Edgewood Park
A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Pacific Manor
Group of settlements including Laguna Salada, Brighton Beach, and Edgemar that combined to became part of the city of Pacifica in 1957. [373901N  1222919W] (4)(6)(16)
Pacific Highlands
A neighborhood in the city of Pacifica.   (15)
Palm Park
A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Palo Alto
A previous informal name for East Palo Alto. (18)
Palo Alto Gardens
A district of East Palo Alto. (18)
Palo Alto Park
A district of East Palo Alto. (18)
Palomar Park
[372854N  1221548W] (16)
Park Pacifica
A neighborhood in the city of Pacifica.   (15)
Parkside
Residential development, circa 1950's, south of Shoreview in San Mateo.  (12)
Pedro Point
Settlement that became part of the city of Pacifica in 1957.  (4)(15)
Pedro Valley
Refers to Rancho San Pedro, which comprises most of present day Pacifica.  [373536N  1222949W] (5)(13)(16)
Pigeon Point
Named for the clipper ship Carrier Pigeon which was wrecked in 1853.  (4)(5)(13)
Pillar Point
A rock formation in this area is named as early as 1796, and in common use since 1862. (4)
Point Año Nuevo
The southernmost point on the San Mateo County coast, named (La Punta de Año Nuevo, or New Year's Point) by Sebastían VIZCAÍNO in 1603.  (5)
Point New Year
Listed as a post office.  (13)
Pomponio (Creek, Ranch, Ridge)
Named for José POMPONIO LUPEGEYUM, an Indian captain of a group known as 'Los Insurgentes'.  POMPONIO was captured and executed in 1824.  (4)(6)
Portola Valley Ranch
A neighborhood in the current town of Portola Valley, located in the general area bounded by Alpine Road and Los Trancos Road. It was developed by Joe Whelan from the old Bovet Ranch in the late 1970s.  (14)
Princeton (aka Princeton-by-the-Sea)
Two miles south of Point Montara Lighthouse. An unincorporated community. [373018N  1222909W] (5)(16)(17)
Purisima (Purissima)
Once a busy town south of Half Moon Bay, named for an early Indian village.  Little remaans except the old cemetery.  [372415N  1222445W] (4)(5)(13)(16)
Ravenswood
Town originally planned circa 1850, with the expectation that the Central Pacific Railroad would cross the lower San Francisco Bay.  A bridge was finally built in 1920, but the town had since dissappeared.  The site of the Ravenswood Wharf is now known as Cooley's Landing, and the general area is now known as East Palo Alto.  [372835N  1220803W] (4)(5)(16)(18)
Ray Park
Formerly a portion of the MILLS estate; eventually became annexed to Burlingame.  (6) (21)
Redwood Junction
[372838N  1221313W] (16)
Redwood Landing
Early name for Redwood City (22)
Redwood Oaks
A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Redwood Park
[372605N  1221913W] (16)
Redwood Shores
[373155N  1221449W] (16)

A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)

Redwood Terrace
[371853N  1221738W] (16)
Redwood Village
A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Rockaway Beach
Settlement that became part of the city of Pacifica in 1957.  [373631N  1222939W] (4)(13)(15)(16)
Roosevelt
A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Runnymeade (aka Runnymede)
A previous informal name for East Palo Alto. [372804N  1220802W] (16)(18)
Ryan Tract
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Saint Francis Heights
Subdivision in Daly City which began development in 1958.  It extends from from the hills in the south that later became the Serramonte area, toward Broadmoor Village on the north.   (8)
Salada Beach
Early name for the area now known as Sharp Park in Pacifica.  (4) (13)
San Antonio
Also known as Pescadero.  (5)
San Benito
Prior to 1850, the large families (and several friends) of Candelario MIRAMONTES and Tiburcio VÁSQUEZ settled a small village they called San Benito.  American settlers referred to it as Spanishtown, and eventually it became known as Half Moon Bay.  (6)
San Gregorio
Small coastal settlement between Tunitas and Pomponio creeks;  a post office was established in the 1870's.  [371938N  1222308W]  (4)(5)(13)(16)
San Mateo Highlands
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
San Mateo Park
A neighborhood of San Mateo. [373400N  1222039W] (16)(19)(21)
San Pedro Terrace
Also once known as Pedro Valley, later part of Linda Mar;  became part of the city of Pacifica in 1957.  (6)
Schoolhouse Station
The first school in what is now the Colma/Daly City area was a one-room school built in 1856 near a railroad stop at Mission and Old San Pedro Roads.  The builders of the railroad began to refer to the stop as Schoolhouse Station.  In 1869, a post office called Schoolhouse Station was also established and the name remained until it became officially known as Colma around 1888.  (4)(6)(8)(13)
Seal Cove
[373109N  1223042W] (16)
Serramonte
Subdivision in the hills located in the southern section of Daly City.  This area was also known as Southern Hills and Colma Hills and was sparsely populated until after 1963.  At that time, Fred and Carl GELLERT of Suburban Realty began construction of a planned community they called Serramonte.  GELLERT Park was built on 25 acres donated by the GELLERTs and features a playground, tennis, basketball and bocci-ball courts, a recreation center as well as the Main Branch of the Daly City Public Library.   (8)
Sharon Heights
A neighborhood in the current city of Menlo Park. It is a "...574-acre estate, bordered by Sand Hill Road, Santa Cruz Avenue, Alameda de las Pulgas and Sharon Heights Golf and Country Club...Originally developed in the 1960s by Duncan McDonald and Mark Radin..." (14)
Sharp Park
District in Pacifica, first named Salada Beach after nearby Laguna Salada circa 1905, but renamed in 1936 after a request from the Post Office to avoid confusion between the two places.  G.F. SHARP once owned two sections of Rancho San Pedro.  Encompasses the areas once known as Edgemar, Salada and Brighton Beaches.  [373810N  1222913W] (4)(6)(13)(15)(16)
Shelter Cove
Cove to the north of San Pedro Point.  [373547N  1223042W] (6)(16)
Sholun
[374020N  1222835W] (16)
Shoreview
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
Skyfarm
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Skyline
A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)
Skylonda (aka Sky Londa)
Earlier known as Sky L'Onda, a name coined by a realtor in the 1920s for the intersection of La Honda Road and Skyline Boulevard. [372301N  1221542W]  (4)(16)

A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)

Skywood
A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)
South City
Common nickname for South San Francisco.   (4)
South of Seminary (aka Vintage Oaks)
A neighborhood in the current city of Menlo park, located in the general area bounded by Middlefield Road, Willow Road, Coleman Avenue and Santa Monica Avenue. The homes were "mostly built in the 1940s and early '50s."  (14)
Southern Hills
Refers to the southern, hilly section of Daly City, now known as Serramonte.  (8)
Spanishtown
Originally called San Benito, but dubbed Spanishtown by American settlers.  Later became known as Half Moon Bay.  (11)(4)(6)
Stambaugh-Heller
A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Stanford Hills
A neighborhood in the current city of Menlo park, located in the small area bounded by Brenner Drive, Sand Hill Road, Junipero Serra Boulevard, Alpine Road, and Stanford Hills Park.  (14)
Stanford Weekend Acres
A neighborhood in the current city of Menlo park, located in the general area bounded by Alpine Road, San Francisquito Creek, and Stowe Lane.  (14)
Sunnybrae
A neighborhood of San Mateo. (19)
Tanforan
Currently a neighborhood and shopping center complex in San Bruno, once a horse racing track; named for early landowner Toribio TANFARÁN.  [373819N  1222437W]  (4)(16)
Tobin
Village on the coast, in what is now the city of Pacifica.    (6)   (13)
Tobin Clark Estate
A neighborhood of Hillsborough. (21)
Torquay
Listed as a post office.   (13)
Tunitas
Settlement on the coast near the Santa Cruz county line.    (6)
Tunitas Glen
One-time terminal of the now defunct Ocean Shore Railroad, which ran from San Francisco.    (5)
University Heights (aka Menlo Heights and West Menlo Park)
An unincorporated neighborhood near Menlo Park-Atherton, located in an area bordered by Las Lomitas and La Entrada schools and bisected by Alameda de las Pulgas. "The earliest settlers in the area arrived in 1887...The Harkins family purchased the block of land bordered by the Alameda, Sharon Road, Altschul Avenue and Harkins Avenue. Most of the early residents were drawn by work at Stanford University or the nearby Sharon estate..."    (14)
University Village
A district of East Palo Alto. (18)
Vallemar
Settlement that became part of the city of Pacifica in 1957.  [373649N  1222847W] (4)(6)(15)(16)
Vista Grande
Listed as a post office.  (13)
Vista Verde
An unincorporated neighborhood near Portola Valley which lies at the southern ends of Alpine and Los Trancos roads. It was "developed in the early 1960s on 453 acres of land once owned by 'Sunny Jim' Rolph, governor of California in 1931."  [372013N  1221135W] (14)(16)
Visitacion City
First name for the town established in 1908, now known as Brisbane.  The area was part of the rancho granted to Jacob P. LEESE, known as Rancho Cañada de Guadalupe la Visitación y Rodeo Viejo.  LEESE's ranch house stood near Alvarado Street just west of Visitacion Avenue.   (4) (13)
Waterview
Prior popular name of what later became known as Angelo's Corners in Belmont.   (3)
Weeks Poultry Colony
A previous informal name for East Palo Alto. (18)
West of Alameda
A neighborhood in the current city of Atherton, located in the area on the west side of Alameda de las Pulgas, between Walsh Road and Stockbridge Avenue.  (14)
West Atherton
A neighborhood in the current city of Atherton, located in the area surrounded by Valparaiso Avenue, Alameda De Las Pulgas, Stockbridge Avenue to Selby Lane, and El Camino Real. "In 1860, [Faxon Dean] Atherton purchased over 600 acres...essentially what is now West Atherton...and became one of the first residents of the area. He built what is described as a relatively modest home in the center of his plot...He raised his seven children there, and today, their names appear on West Atherton street signs: Isabella, Alejandro and Elena." (14)
West Menlo Park
[372601N  1221207W] (16)
Westborough
[373837N  1222728W] (16)
Westlake
Large development in the western section of Daly City, from Lake Merced on the north, to the Pacifica hills on the south.  Before 1945, mainly hog ranches and cabbage patches occupied the swampy, windy, foggy area.  Henry DOELGER and his brother John of DOELGER Builder, Inc. purchased 1,350 acres of the land from the Spring Valley Water Company in 1945, and worked to develop the area between 1948 and 1962.  [374152N  1222846W]  (8)(16)
Westridge
A neighborhood in the current town of Portola Valley, located along Westride Drive between Alpine Road and Portola Road. Back in the 1950s, the Westridge Company purchased 750 acres of Joseph Macdonough's Ormondale Ranch to create the current neighborhood. [372331N  1221301W] (14)(16)
Westview
Settlement that became part of the city of Pacifica in 1957.   (4)
Whiskey Hill
Early name for a cluster of saloons in what is now Woodside (22)
Willows (aka North Palo Alto)
A neighborhood in the current city of Menlo Park, located in the area bounded by San Francisquito Creek and Willow Road. "...the neighborhood gets its distinctive shape from a private thoroughfare where cattle were driven in 1857 down to the willows resting in the marsh at the eastern end of what is now Willow Road." The area was renamed the Willows in 1953 after the incorporation of Menlo Park.   (14)
Woodland Place
A district of East Palo Alto. (18)
Woodside Glens
[372626N  1221520W](16)

A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)

Woodside Hills
A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)
Woodside Plaza
A neighborhood in Redwood City. (20)
Woodside Heights
A neighborhood in Woodside. (14)
Woodside Highlands
A neighborhood located near Portola Valley, from Portola Road. It was created in 1920. [372323N  1221448W  (14)(16)


Sources:
(1) Estep, Russel A., History of Belmont, California, Belmont Chamber of Commerce, 1967.
(2) 1870 Federal Census, California, San Mateo County.
(3) Dewing, Ria Elena, Heritage of the Wooded Hills-A Belmont History, Wadsworth Publishing Company, 1977.
(4) Gudde, Erwin G., California Place Names-The Origin and Entymology of Current Geographical Names, 4th ed., University of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles, CA, 1998.
(5) Hoover, Mildred Brook; Rensch, Hero Eugene; Rensch, Ethel Grace; Abeloe, William N., Historic Spots in California, 4th ed. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA, 1990.
(6) Stanger, Frank M., South From San Francisco-The Life Story of San Mateo County, The San Mateo County Historical Association, San Mateo, CA, 1963.
(7) Hynding, Alan, From Frontier to Suburb-The Story of the San Mateo Peninsula, Star Publishing Company, 1982.
(8) Chandler, Samuel C., Gateway to the Peninsula-Official History of Daly City, California, City of Daly City, 1973.
(9) Allied Art Guild History, <http://www.savealliedarts.com/historicmission.htm>, 2003.
(10) Paul, Ken; Gautraud, Alexandra; San Mateo! A Sketchbook Tour of the San Francisco Peninsula, CastleRock Press, Palo Alto, 1989.
(11) County of San Mateo, Centennial, San Mateo County 1856-1956, Official Souvenir Book, San Mateo, 1956.
(12) Postel, Mitchell P., San Mateo, A Centennial History, Scottwall Associates Publishers, San Francisco, 1994.
(13) Williams, John, California Town Postmarks 1849-1935; reprinted Hartmann, Leonard H.,  Books on Philately <http://pbbooks.com/caindex.htm>, June 2005.
(14) Palo Alto Online: Neighboorhoods 2005, <http://www.paloaltoonline.com/neighborhoods/>, June 2005.
(15) Pacifica Neighborhoods, <http://www.ci.pacifica.ca.us/ECONDEV/neighbr.html>, July 2005
(16) Calsign [Topographic markers], <http://www.calsign.com/mining/countydata/sanmateo1.htm>, July 2005
(17) Granada Sanitary District and Half Moon Bay Boundaries, <http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/vgn/images/portal/cit_609/32/29/273570405gsdPARKreorgrpt%20attachments.pdf>, July 2005.
(18) The History of East Palo Alto, <http://www.epa.net/info/epa_history.html>, July 2005
(19) San Mateo County Times [various neighborhoods] <http://www.sanmateocountytimes.com/Stories/0,1413,87%257E31613%257E,00.html>, 29 Nov 2004.
(20) Redwood City Neighborhoods, <http://www.redwoodcity.org/residents/neighborhoodassociation.html>, July 2005.
(21) Vinther Properties, <http://www.vintherproperties.com/MLSMAP.htm>, July 2005.
(22) Svanevik, Michael and Burgett, Shirley, Matters Historical: Names Change, Places Stay the Same, San Mateo Daily News, Volume 5, Number 351, 25 July 2005, p. 14


Return to San Mateo County Genealogy
© Copyright  2003 - 2006  Ron Filion and Pamela Storm.  All rights reserved.
last updated: 27 August 2006