Tales of the San Francisco
Theron G. Cady
A series of articles first published
in 'Peninsula Life Magazine'
Published by C-T Publishers,
San Carlos, California, 1948
FOUNDED IN 1853
At the end of Bay Road,
a long narrow strip of pavement stretching from Redwood City through Atherton
and Menlo Park to the waters of the bay east of Palo Alto, is the old port
Build about 1853, the
town boasted a wooden pier which jutted out 1,500 feet from land to deep
water. Wharf Street was the main thoroughfare and it was crossed
by Woods Street, Haskell Street, Charles Street, all named for men interested
in the town's possibilities. Lots were laid out adjoining these streets
and the buildings which occupied many were built of lumber from the mills
near Woodside and Searsville.
A lone steamer, the Jenny
Lind, according to records, was the only vessel operating between San
Francisco and Ravenswood. It was a sturdy side-wheeler of some sixty
tons and on one of its regular trips down the bay in 1853 it met with disaster.
When the boat, laden with cargo and passengers, reached a point opposite
San Mateo, her boilers exploded killing thirty-one passengers and completely
destroying the boat.
In 1864, when the railroad
was completed to San Jose, it brought an end to much of the bay shipping.
Redwood City, which was closer to the lumber mills, was now the chief lumber
port and great things anticipated for Ravensood failed to materialize.
Real estate activities decreased and after a time the propery came into
the possession of L.P. Cooley and Michael Crowe.
In 1874 Ravenswood secured
a second lease on life when Hunter, Shackleford and Company started a brick
manufacturing plant near the old port. It was the largest plant of
its kind in San Mateo County and all the bricks that went into the building
of William G. Ralston's Palace Hotel were made here and shipped from the
old wharf. When the hotel was completed in 1875 it brought an end
to the brick business and Ravenswood gradually faded into the past.
Today, nothing remains
of Ravenswood except a gaping pit from which brick clay was obtained in
the early days. The 1,500-foot wooden wharf is gone and the last
piling which served as a landmark for so many years has completely disappeared.
All the remaining things that once made Ravenswood a thriving community
now lie hidden beneath tons of refuse, for the site of San Mateo County's
first town now serves as a county dump.
© 1948 Theron G. Cady. All rights
Posted here with permission of his granddaughter,
Andrea Van Norman.
Return to Tales of the San Francisco Peninsula
Return to San Mateo County History
© Copyright 2003-2005 Ron Filion and Pamela Storm. All rights reserved.