Nevada Biographical and Genealogical Sketch Index. Parker, J. Carlyle and Janet G. Parker.
Turlock, Calif.: Marietta Publishing Company (2115 North Denair Avenue, 95382, 209-634-9473), 1986, 96 pages.
"Valuable reference works continue to appear. Among notable ones of the past year are J. Carlyle Parker and Janet G. Parker's Nevada Biographical and Genealogical Sketch Index (Turlock, Calif.: Marietta Publishing, 1986);...."
-- Eric N. Moody, Curator of Manuscripts, Nevada Historical Society, Nevada Historical Society Quarterly 30 (Fall 1987): 222.
"From the chaos of 86 distinct Nevada historical and biographical sources published between 1870 and 1985, the Parkers have created one orderly index to information on 7,230 persons. The source and page within the source are carefully noted. Genealogists will heap praise on these compilers for this time--and labor--saving device."
-- Eleanor Ferrall, Books of the Southwest, Number 341, April 1987, p. 6.
"Nevada Biographical and Genealogical Sketch Index.... is a useful source for Nevada biographical, historical and genealogical research. The volume also contains an annotated bibliography of statewide biographical indexes for other states."
-- The Pacific Historian 30, no. 4 (Winter 1986): 78.
"Devotees of Western genealogy will want to know of the Nevada Biographical and Genealogical Sketch Index.... The sturdy
little hardbound book...contains...index entries leading to important biographical information on Western pioneers."
-- Abraham Hoffman, The Californians, September/October 1987, p. 59.
"My hat is off to anyone who makes a biographical index....Biographical research is one of the most difficult fields of endeavor because of the lack of good indexes. Indexers, though not often recognized, surely earn a gold crown in any reseacher's book."
-- Addie Dyal, Oregon State Library, Overland Journal 5 (Spring 1987): 42.
"Biographical and genealogical sketches are an important secondary source for biographers, genealogists, and historians to
consult. This statewide index will be a very useful, time-saving research tool for the researcher with family connections in
-- The Genealogical Helper 41 (May-June 1987): 164.
Some California libraries that have the above index:
- Berkeley, University of California, Berkeley
- Berkeley, University of California, Berkeley, Bancroft
- Carlsbad, Carlsbad City Library
- Chico, California State University, Chico
- Fremont, Alameda County Library
- Fresno, California State University, Fresno
- Hayward, California State University, Hayward
- Huntington Beach, Huntington Beach Library
- Long Beach, California State University, Long Beach
- Los Angeles, California State University, Los Angeles
- Los Angeles, Los Angeles Public Library
- Los Angeles, University of California, LA
- Merced, Merced County Library
- Modesto, Stanislaus County Free Library
- Orange, Orange County Public Library
- Pomona, Pomona Public Library
- Riverside, University of California, Riverside
- Sacramento, California State Library
- Sacramento, California State University, Sacramento
- Sacramento, Sacramento Public Library
- San Bernardino, California State University, San Bernardino
- San Francisco, California Historical Society Library
- San Francisco, Sutro Library
- San Mateo, San Mateo County Library
- Santa Clara, Santa Clara City Library
- Santa Cruz, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Santa, Rosa, Sonoma County Library
- Stockton, University of the Pacific
- Turlock, California State University, Stanislaus