[by] Charles Warren Haskins. Libera Martina Spinazze, Polyanthus, New Orleans, 1975.The last 141 pages of Charles Warren Haskins' The Argonauts of California, Being the Reminiscences of Scenes and Incidents That Occurred in California in Early Mining Days; by a Pioneer (New York: Fords, Howard and Hulbert, 1890; microfiche, Ann Arbor, Mich.: Xerox University Microfilms, 1975) is a list. The title of the list is, "Names of Pioneers Who Came by Land and Sea to California in 1849." The names of the Argonauts are listed under the names of the mining companies or other types of groups in which Argonauts, the 49'ers, traveled to California. Haskins' list is a secondary source based on primary sources.
Spinazze's 1974 edition is a copy of her 1960 carbon copy, typed manuscript. Each entry includes the Argonaut's name, the page in Haskins' list, and usually only a one line note providing the name of the mining company (or names of other groups); if by ship, the port of departure, and, in most cases, either the date of sailing or arrival. Unfortunately, a very large majority of the personal (first and middle) names are initialized. It contains about 27,000 names.
Name Page # Note Sturgess, Seth. 413 From Peoria, Ill, April 4, 1849 Sullivan, J. L. 416 Steamer Empire City, sailed July 17, 1849 Sullivan, J. V. 496 Brig Randolph from Boston, Feb.6, 1849 Sullivan, John 492 Ship Greyhound from Baltimore Jan.9, 1849 Sullivan, M. 363 Mem. Pioneer Association of San Francisco Sunafrank, Absm. 398 Pioneer crossed plains from Ohio, May 1849 Sunderland, T. 385 Territorial Pioneers living on Pacific Coast Sweeney, M. 402 Mem. Company from Michigan, Apr. 7, 1849 Swift, A. C. 370 Ex-mem. San Francisco Pioneer Association Swift, C. H. 377 Mem. Sacramento P. A.
Some California libraries that have the above item:
- Berkeley, University of California Berkeley Bancroft Library, F865.H35.Index.1976
- Burlingame, Burlingame Public Library, R979.4 Sp46i - Calif
- Daly City, Serramonte Branch Public Library, R979.404 H/HIST
- Davis, University of California Davis Shields Library, F865.H358 S63
- Fullerton, California State University Fullerton Library, F865 S67x circ
- Hayward, California State University Hayward Library, REF F865 .H273 Sp46 Index
- Riverside, University of California Riverside Rivera Library, F865.H352 S63
- Sacramento, California State Library, REF F865 .H273 Sp46 Index, F865 .S5 1975 California, F865 .S5 1975 California Non Circ
- San Francisco, San Francisco Public Library, 917.94 H273a
- San Francisco, Sutro Library, F865 .S5 1975
- San Luis Obispo, California Polytechnic State University Library, F865 H352 circ
- Santa Barbara, University of California Santa Barbara Main Library, F865.H352 S63, F865.H352 S63 Special Coll
- Santa Clara, Santa Clara Library, GR 929.3794 S75
- J. Porter Shaw Maritime Museum & Library
Fort Mason Center, Building E
San Francisco, CA 94123