sfgenealogy.com Boards

William S. Sutherland

[San Francisco City & County Vitals Notices Board]

Posted by C B Compton on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 22:10:22 :

I'm looking for information about the above subject, William S. Sutherland. Sutherland was killed on the steamer Yosemite, October 12, 1865 at Rio Vista, CA. He was one of 13 "white men" taken to Nathaniel Grays Coffin Warerooms In San Francisco on October 13, 1865.

He was placed in a vault on the 16 of October 1865 according to Gray's Funeral Record. I have assumed at Lone Mountain Cemetery.

Source:Gray's Funeral Record Volume for January 1863-December 1878 page 137

Familyresearch.org states that he was reburied on the 6th of March 1866. Film Number 4177347. I found an article at the time of his death stating that he had left a wife and 2 small children. I neglected to write down a reference and I have tried to find it several times and failed. I tried locating the article using the California Digital Newspaper Collection to no avail. I've looked in the Chronicle Daily Dramatic, SF Examiner, Daily Evening Bulletin and The Morning Call.

The funeral was conducted at Calvary Presbyterian Church in San Francisco by Rev. Dr. Wadsworth. Actually it was a double service. The other deceased person was Henry M. Dakin.

My stepfather's g uncle Minor Moore according to the newspaper was Mr. Sutherland's traveling companion. Mr. Sutherland was an agent for the British Bank of North America at the time.

No doubt Sutherland was moved one more time when San Francisco passed a law removing the remains of most of those buried in SF Cemeteries.

copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.