Posted by Ron Filion on Sunday, December 10, 2006 at 09:15:10 :
In Reply to: Swiss Hotel, Commercial Street posted by John on Monday, November 13, 2006 at 08:51:51 :
: Prior to the 1906 earthquake my wifes grandfather, Mr.Spaelti, ran the old Swiss hotel at 629 Commercial St. Other than the phone # in the 1903 phone book I can not locate additional information......any suggestions? thank you, john.
There are a number of available resources to gather information:
(1) Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (building layout and type)
(2) Federal Census returns (lists of people living there)
(3) Old newspapers (articles & guest lists)
(4) City Directories (owners, street addresses, sometimes advertisements)
(5) Block Maps (property owners)
Those are a few to get you started.
Post a Followup
powered by SpudBoard