sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: Location of the Grand Opera House in 1906?

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by Richard Samford on Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 14:13:46 :

In Reply to: Re: Location of the Grand Opera House in 1906? posted by Richard Samford on Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 14:12:51 :

: : : Hi, I'm having a hard time figuring out where exactly the Grand Opera House in 1906 was located. Also, are the Grand Opera House and the Mission Opera House two different names for the same place? ...

: : According to the 1905 Crocker-Langley San Francisco City Directory:

: : Grand Opera House, N S Mission bet 3d and 4th [page 799]
: : Mission Opera Hall, 2121 Mission [page 1317]

==============
ok, that didn't work. trying again...

The 1905 Crocker Langley city directory shows “Grand Opera House, N S Mission bet 3d and 4th“
[ “N S” probably means North Side. “E s” is shown in the list of abbreviations as the “East side” ] Also in the list of Theatres in the front, it says “Mission near 3rd“.

What I’ve found on him and the event almost always says “Grand Opera House”. It is possible that it was also described as the “Opera House on Mission”… so Mission Opera House? Just conjecture, though.

Or, just some slightly inacurate information being spread by creative copy/paste on the internet.
Iin fact, some sites say one, then the other. So I think they are the same.

No “Mission Opera House” listed anywhere in the directory, just the “Mission Opera Hall”, and that was at 2123 Mission.

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.