sfgenealogy.com Boards

Manning's Cafeteria and Coffee Company

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by michael n. on Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 12:28:33 :

In Reply to: Manning's Coffee posted by Marcie Rosenzweig on Saturday, November 05, 2005 at 14:00:56 :

I was prompted to reply to the message posted by Kathy regarding her family's business, Manning's Coffee and Cafeterias. I remember their downtown Seattle location very well; the business was still active and well run when I arrived here for duty in the Coast Guard.

The original Mannings was in the Pike Place Market and is and has been the cafeteria and lounge operation known as Lowells. More popular now with the tourist crowds who come in the summer for the Alaska Cruise Ship season, the business still attracts locals during the week for cafeteria service on the main and third floors--the harbor view of Elliott Bay and their table service in the lounge on the second floor.

I also came into San Francisco several decades ago for an interview with the successor company to Mannings; the business was then a division of the John Labatt Company and they were more or less a contract food service operator. The interview was held at the former coffee roasting and corporate facility for Mannings on Battery Street. I did not purse employment with the company but years later, did find myself living and working in San Francisco, involved with the fund raising campaign to replace the Michael de Young Art Museum in Golden Gate Park. Never would have figured that move as part of my career strategy. Interesting posting regarding a legendary food service business.

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.