sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: William B De Avila and Dudley Stone

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by Maria Berry on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 21:11:24 :

In Reply to: William B De Avila and Dudley Stone posted by kurt iversen on Monday, April 17, 2006 at 06:39:12 :

: William B De Avila school on Haight street (named around 1980) started out as Dudley Stone named around 1900. Who was De Avila? Who was Stone? SFUSD has no clue.

Mr De Avila was principal of Dudley Stone when I was bused there in 1970 back when I was in the 1st grade. I was super scared my first day. I wasn't used to being far from home and was feeling pretty anxious. He took the time to ride home on the bus with all of us kids to make sure that things went smoothly.

We had name tags on us with the name of our bus stop, but mine had fallen off during the day. When I realized this, I started to panic and began to cry. He came to me, put me in his lap and calmed me down and told me it would all be o.k.

I will never forget his kindness, and how much we all loved him. He was that one and a million sort of principal that was born to do the job. I'm a teacher now, and his kindness is still an inspiration to me. I was so sad to hear about what had happened to him. I'm glad they named that school after him, because if you had known him, you would understand how much he deserved it. Rest in peace Mr. De Avila, you were one in a million.

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.