sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: crash victims on doyle drive

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by Robert Olsen on Sunday, September 15, 2013 at 16:03:06 :

In Reply to: Re: crash victims on doyle drive posted by Patrick McGowan on Saturday, March 02, 2013 at 09:20:49 :

: : : Around 1970 there was a major car accident on Doyle Drive that claimed the life of at least three (up to ten?). I can find references to an accident, but no actual article. I would like to find a list of the victims.
: : : Any suggestions?
: : : thank you!!

: : There were nine killed in the porsche v/s mustang accident. Who is asking?

: I remember that accident, as I was in high school in San Francisco when it occured. As I recall, 9 people died at the scene, and a 10th passed away later from injuries in the hospital. It was reported that there were 3 people in the Porsche, and 9 people in the Mustang.

I remember seeing the morning chronicle with the headline about the accident. I knew most of the people but can only remember the driver of the Mustang, Bert Urea. Nine people were packed in the car heading to Russian River I think. The Porsche was driving south on the GG Bridge at over 100 MPH when it hit the wall on Doyle Drive at the curve and bounced across all the lane hitting the Mustang. The Mustang was going about 10 MPH watching the Porsche speeding across the bridge. That was reported in the paper. All three in the Porsche died instantly and six from the Mustang died. One of the survivors in the Mustang died a few months later from an overdose of Heroin. I wish I could remember their names. There were sisters who died in the Mustang. It was a very sad time for all that knew them and the families of those killed. Senseless!

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.