sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: Littleman Groceterias

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by SB on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 14:52:49 :

In Reply to: Re: Littleman Groceterias posted by J.J. on Saturday, December 05, 2009 at 17:09:56 :

One store was at the intersection of Homestead Rd.& Hollenbeck in Sunnyvale. Another was at Homestead Rd.& Scott Blvd. in Santa Clara. The owners were Abe & Leon Miller. The only reason that I know any of this is my father worked at both stores. I know he was there in 1959, I have a carving set that the Millers gave him during the holidays (the card is still in the box!)
: : : Does anyone remember Littleman "Groceterias"? This was a small supermarket chain active in 1939-40 (probably before and after), either in San Francisco or nearby. I'm trying to determine where their stores were located. Thanks for any help!
: ____________________________________

: If you google Littleman Stores, San Francisco, you will get this:

: http://www.groceteria.com/store/regional-chains/k-o/littleman-stores/

: FYI, I worked for Littleman Stores, in the early 1960s. I understand they had a store on Castro, corner of 18th St. during WWII, and they could get butter (which was rationed), which led to their success. I vaguely remember that store.

: The main office was on California Street, in the Laurel Village shopping center. I worked with the advertising manager, Bob, who was the greatest boss I ever had. I think he stayed with Littleman>Cala Foods>Kroeger chain for a long time. I also worked with the Sundry manager, Mr Hoffman, who was a very nice older man.

: They had several stores in San Francisco, such as on 18th & Collingwood, Polk St(?), seems to be one on Geary or the Fillmore, and down the peninsula (such as Sunnyvale). There were, maybe, about 15 stores.

: The owners were Jewish. I mention that because my name sounds Jewish and I've always thought that might be why I was hired. I had a good job and have no idea why I left, except that perhaps I was young and stupid.

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.