sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: High school in the 60s and on to Berkeley

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by Linda Hayton on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 18:08:44 :

In Reply to: High school in the 60s and on to Berkeley posted by Harry on Sunday, December 30, 2007 at 11:57:19 :

: I live in England and I'm researching for a novel I'm writing. I'm interested in what growing up in SF was like in the 50s and 60s, with particular details of high school. I don't really know a lot about the structure of education in SF at the time, for example. I'd also be interested in hearing from SFers who would have gone to Berkeley, perhaps starting in 1967. How, for example, did you get from high school to Berkeley?

: I look forward to hearing from you. E-mail:

I went to BalBoa High School from late 62 to early 66. We had split year attendance. High School was pretty much the same as today, the popular kids and the nots, the jocks and the nerds. I do think education was better at that time because we didn't have alot of side classes, it was still pretty much the 3 R's and a bit of english lit for good measure. Our electives were cooking and sewing for Girls, wood and autoshope for boys. We did not however get away with courting in the hallways as they do now. We had a dress code. Skirts could be no shorter than the middle of your knee. Pants you never saw at school. If you swore you got sent down and your parents were called, big trouble. The other thing we had that is not found now, truant officers would come to your house and drag you back to school or off the street if they found you off campus.

: general.strike@hotmail.co.uk

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.