sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: Cemeteries 1907-1910

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by Linda Hayton on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 17:41:37 :

In Reply to: Cemeteries 1907-1910 posted by Debi on Friday, December 31, 2010 at 09:03:03 :

Most all the cemeteries were removed down to Colma in the 40's. You would have to contact all the ones down there to see if they took the remains. Some are really willing to let you look through the books that came with the remains.

The deal was that a notice was put in the papers letting people know that the remains were being relocated and if they wanted the headstones to go with they had to pay for it. Otherwise the head stones were dumped into what is not part of the concete barrier along El Camino Real. Sad but true.

If your people were Catholic, check with Holy Cross, but don't count on them being very helpful. Start witht the others first like Cypress lawn, they have always been so good when I ask for help. Evergreen, not so much or at least when I was down there last. They don't like people poking around the cemetery, don't know why. I hope the new caretaker is a nicer person than was there at the time I was looking.

They should all have interment books. Not all the Colma Cems took all the remains of one cem. they took as many as they had room for and I suspect many were in a mass grave because no one claimed them or had any information about them. The reason the cems were moved was about money. The cems sat on prime real estate. I hope this reaches you.

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.