sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: Manning's Coffee, 1925-1984?

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by Kathy on Saturday, October 02, 2010 at 18:14:26 :

In Reply to: Re: Manning's Coffee, 1925-1984? posted by Donna on Monday, April 12, 2010 at 18:50:57 :

: : : What was the cross street for the 1175 Market Street one? I remember a Mannings coffee shop on Market St. on the South of Market side of the street, I think it was towards where the Greyhound Bus station is. If I'm thinking of the same place it was like a working class coffee shop.
: : : I remember my mother used to take me there. A lot of newsvendors, like my dad (John Vance, he was President of the Newsvendors Union) used to hang out there. In fact my mother told me this 'funny' story a few years before she died. About a week after I was born she took me there to show me off to her friends. None of them had health insurance, in fact my dad didn't have any either - none of the newsvendors did. She told my aunt and my aunt got mad at her and tried to explain to her that newborns didn't really have an immune system. But I survived anyway. And when I got older I used to run around the place and say hello to everyone. My mother could never keep me in one place. So I guess Mannings was my playground.

: : : : I checked the San Francisco City Directories (Polk-Crocker-Langley publishers) and found the earliest reference in 1925. Here are partial transcriptions of applicable entries.

: : : : 1925 Manning's, Inc., F.I. Kerr, mgr coffee & tea, 1175 Market
: : : : (no mention of the upcoming Manning's for 1925)

: : : : 1926 Manning's, Inc., J.P. Dunn, Dist. Mgr.
: : : : Manning, Edw M (Margt M), pres. Mannings, Inc., r. 3 - 25th
: : : : Manning, Wm W, vice pres. Manning's, Inc., r. Ross

: : : : 1927 Manning's, Inc., E.M. Manning, Pres.; W.W. Manning, Vice-Pres.; J.P. Dunn, Dist. Mgr., Teas & Coffees, 268 Market, branches...
: : : : (in 1927, E.M. Manning is listed with his residence in Palo Alto)

: : : : So, over the next years, the main offices move, and there were restaurants opened, etc. But, there always seemed to be a "Mannings, Inc."

: : : : 1964 Manning's Coffee, Robt. A. Manning, pres., 901 Battery

: : : : The last reference I could find to a "Manning's, Inc." was in a 1984 telephone book with them at 450 Golden Gate.

: : : : So, they either went out of business, changed names, or moved out of San Francisco.

: : : : Hope this helps,

: : : : Ron

:
: It was on Market and 5th. It had a very special meaning for me. I always went there for coffee when I was down on my luck and had to plan on what to do next.

If you read my post in response to the original post in 2005 from Marcie, it will clear up some of your information. Manning's Inc. was the HQ for Manning's coffee and cafeterias, located at 901 Battery St. The company was sold in 1970, but the new parent contined to run the cafeterias. The last cafeteria closed in 1984.

Hope this helps. Kathy

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.