sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: Market Street

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by Tim Giangiobbe on Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 10:59:29 :

In Reply to: Re: Market Street posted by Dave McCune on Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 22:07:40 :

: I believe you are speaking of Cochran's pool hall across the street from The Palace and also on Market . Cochran's had a side entrance (another street I can't remember the name). I used to go over from the east bay late at night and play pool all night. It closed and reopened again in the 80's but think it's closed again. I don't think the Palace had a back entrance- Not sure, but it sounds like you are describing Cochran's. I believe they shot some of "The Hustler" in there and it was known as one of the top 10 pool halls in the country in it's time. thanks, Dave McCune.....Yes I can Remember this Too.Theater Row and Fascination.The Snack Bar at Woolworths and Then Out to The Playland Arcade.

There were Pool Halls Acceptable for Kids and Ones that Kids really Needed to stay out of(I was In That One!).

This was Before the Crack Epidemic.

The area was Great before BART.The Redevelopment agency made some bad decisions regarding Blight.The Visitors and Convention Folks made out.

The Poor were driven out to Help the City Prosper.

I will always have MIxed Feeling about the Exodus.

The 6th street corridor was safe then,No KIdding!

San Franciaco Can Have a Grand Market street That GLITTERS again.The Lights are Not Tacky In The Right Area and as Long as They aren't like Las Vegas Strip.They Have Too Many Lights that are way Too Busy with Flashing and Changing Lights.There is a Happy Middle Ground that restores Glitter Gulch.Theater Marquees Can Be Cool.

The Staus Quo Sucks.

There are Urban Heroes that OPen New Businesses in The Hell Zone like the Sausage Stand,Passion Cafe and Other ventures on the way.

These Risk Takers believe in a Renewed 6th Street Corridor.

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.