sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: Manning's Coffee

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by JS on Friday, September 18, 2009 at 23:36:42 :

In Reply to: Re: Manning's Coffee posted by Kathy on Friday, March 24, 2006 at 09:10:33 :

It's been four years since Kathie told us the history of Manning's Coffee -- I hope she reads this. I was an employee of Manning's in Portland Oregon, both as a cafeteria cashier and then as a server in the innovative Rinkside table service restaurant on the edge of the ice rink at the Lloyd Center. After that, I worked at the Pasadena cafeteria on Colorado Blvd. as the dessert server and cashier and relief line manager.

I have often wondered what might have happened to all the recipes that so many millions of people enjoyed over the years. The pork chops and spaghetti are rooted in my memory, and the tarragon french dressing, and other items as well. This was good American food. Everything made fresh, from scratch. There were high standards of cleanliness and performance.

Can someone tell me if the recipes have ever been printed?

: Hi Marcie,

: I know months have passed since you posted this, but I just noticed this inquiry. Periodically I search for Manning "stuff". Just curious what your interest is. This is my family, so a brief rundown. Manning's Coffee was started in Seattle in 1908 by my grandfather and his brother. Started as coffee at Pike's Place, expanded to food, then the first cafe opened there. In 1923 my grandfather and family moved to San Francisco, then to Palo Alto. The headquarters of Manning's, Inc. was on Battery St. At it's height the company had 40 cafeterias and restaurants in 9 western states, in addition to coffee and frozen food distribution. In 1960, following my grandfather's death, my Father took over Manning's, Inc. His brother, Robert, headed up the coffee end of the company. Then in 1970 Manning's was sold to LaBatt of Canada, and subsequently to Del Monte. In addition to the coffee and bakery goods, and cafeterias, they ran food service operations in various hospitals and businesses. The last cafeteria on Geary closed in 1984.

: Hope this helps.
: Kathy

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2009 sfgenealogy. All rights reserved.