sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: Where is the plaque for first SF bridge?


[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]


Posted by Paula Lichtenberg on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 15:45:31 :

In Reply to: Re: Where is the plaque for first SF bridge? posted by Ron Filion on Sunday, January 15, 2006 at 10:28:59 :

: Perhaps it was damaged and/or lost? Was does the current plaque say?

: Ron

It's not clear who put up the current plaque, which describes the firm of Pioche and Bayerque as one of the most important financial institutions in the west during the two decades after the Gold Rush. It further explains that they financed and developed many railroads, including the Sacramento Valley Railroad (the first railroad in the West) and the S.F. Market Street Railroad; the Jackson Street Wharf; the San Francisco Gas Works (principal predecessor to PG&E) and the Spring Valley Water Company. The building was torn down in 1964 and was remodeled in 1982 to reflect its heritage.

Interestingly - and likely not a mere coincidence - according to an article on bridges on the SF Museum's web site, the Bay Bridge opened to vehicular traffic on the same date that the plaque commenmorating the 1844 bridge was dedicated: Nov. 12, 1936.

Francois L.A. Pioche's building was on the southeast corner of Montgomery and Jackson, across the street from William T. Sherman's Bank of Lucas, Turner & Company on the northeastern corner.





Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
Message:

copyright © 2005 Pamela Storm and Ron Filion. All rights reserved.
powered by SpudBoard