sfgenealogy.com Boards

immigration control 1918

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by Martin Obrikat on Monday, November 24, 2008 at 15:33:41 :

Who can help me about details of immigration controls in San Francisco harbour in 1918. It was then, that a distant relative of mine, Franz Obrikat of Los Angeles, came back from a trip from Russia. He went there in 1917 to find my great-grandmother, who was a german POW in Russia then during WW I. He managed to find and help her. But I have no details abaout this trip. When Franz landed in San Francisco on board the "Kawi", coming from Yokohama on January 28, 1918, he was not admitted ashore immediately but interviewed, as visible in the ship record of the "Kawi". In another document from 1918, the "old German Files" of the FBI, I found the proove that there was an affidavit of Franz "in possession of the Army Intelligence bureau" of San Francisco. I am looking for this file, which will be the only document left reporting of his trip during war and revolution to help my great-grandmother.
So my question is: Who knows something about the immigration controls in San Francisco harbour during WW I - times? Who knows something about the "Army Intelligence Bureau" in general and in San Francisco in special? Where would their files be archived, if there are any? I did not find any hints about this agency at all so far.
I would be more than glad to find more hints that bring me closer to my great-grandmotherīs story.
Thank you
Martin Obrikat, Aachen, Germany

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2008 Pamela Storm and Ron Filion. All rights reserved.