sfgenealogy.com Boards

Jack L. Marks 1940 rickshaw at SFWorld's Fair

[Post Followup] [San Francisco History Board]

Posted by Leila Menzies on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 13:25:24 :

John (called Jack) graduated from Mission High School in San Francisco. There were several rickshaw drivers at the world's fair on Treasure Island. John had the white rickshaw. These rickshaws worked just like the ones in China. People paid to be hauled around the island(Treasure Island) John did that in both years of the fair I believe. I know he was there on the day the fair closed in 1940 because one of his favorite stories was the family he managed to get for the closing day. He was very unhappy because he thought he could make a bundle of money hauling a lot of people around - instead he got tuck with this family man and his family. As it turned out at the end of the day he was given in addition to the money he earned a tip of 200.00 dollars. That may not seem like much in today's world, but when you realize that then two dollars
an hour was a very good wage, wow! The family man he was stuck with was none other than Mr. Dodge of the Dodge motor company. I wonder if you were to go back into the newspapers from San Francisco of that time whether you might even locate a picture of John with his rickshaw.

So does anyone have pictures of a white rickshaw taken the last day of thr 1940 Treasure Island World's Fair?

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2008 Pamela Storm and Ron Filion. All rights reserved.