sfgenealogy.com Boards

Re: This granmother remembers

[Post Followup] [Mount Saint Joseph's Orphanage, San Francisco Board]

Posted by grace del real on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 at 19:36:52 :

In Reply to: This granmother remembers posted by Charlotte Lewis on Thursday, September 03, 2009 at 09:49:12 :

: Hi,
: I was at St. Joseph's from 1935-6 to about 1939 - I think. I'd love to see the records. It felt as though I'd been there for 5 years but it was probably less. Life was so structured at MSJ that it took a long time for me to become a regular kid with too much freedom.
: I don't know if anyone remembers The World's Fair in 1939 or going to see "The Little Princess" at the Orpheum Theatre (I think). To publicize the movie I was the "orphan" and given the title "Little Princess" - a big deal to MSJ and me.

Hello Charlotte, I believe my mother was there, her name was Marie La Bella. I have her confirmation record listing first communion in 1935 and her confirmation in 1938. Unfortunately she did not share much with me as it was painful for her. She did have a lifelong love of Shirley Temple movies. I could sense a feeling of identification, as she often played orphans. She did tell me about getting to cross the Golden Gate Bridge the day it opened.

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
<-- Spam Control, enter this number here:
Subject:
copyright © 1996-2010 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.