von GIRSEWALD, PITT, SLEEMAN, RUSSELL, ANDERSON

[Marin County Obit Board]

Posted by Cathy Gowdy on Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 06:30:55 :

San Francisco Examiner

VON GIRSEWALD – In San Francisco, Jan. 25, 1956, Baroness Alice von Girsewald, beloved wife of the late Baron Alexander von Girsewald; loving sister of William Pitt, Mrs. Phyllis Sleeman, Mrs. Kate Russell and Mrs. Dorothy Anderson of England. A native of England.

Funeral services Saturday, Jan. 28, at 2:30 o’clock p.m., at Gantner, Felder, Kenny, 1965 Market st., S. F. Interment private.

[see sfgenealogy.com for full mortuary record]

--- ---
Former Baroness Dies at 77 in S. F.

SAN FRANCISCO (UP) - Alice Gertrude von Girsewald, the former Baroness of Brunswick and a leader in international society before and after World War I, died Wednesday in a nursing home. She was 77.

The English born baroness was the widow of Baron Alexander von Girsewald, consul general at Victoria, B.C., at the outbreak of World War I. Her husband was related to Kaiser Wilhelm II.

After World War I, the von Girsewalds settled in Mill Valley. They moved to San Francisco in 1927. He died in 1929. She became a citizen in 1939, thereby renouncing her title and her claim to any of her husband’s estates in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

She entered Laguna Honda home last summer after her health began deteriorating.

copyright © 1996-2011 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.