PARNELL, MONGEON

[Marin County Obit Board]

Posted by Cathy Gowdy on Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 04:36:40 :

Marin Independent Journal
Tuesday, July 26, 1988
Section A, page 4

FRANCIS W. PARNELL SR.

The funeral for Francis W. Parnell Sr. of Warwick, R.I., father of Dr. Frank Parnell Jr. of Ross, was held Wednesday in Millville, Mass.

Mr. Parnell died suddenly at his home on July 18, 1988. He was 78.

Mr. Parnell was born in Millville. He lived there most of his life, moving to Narragansett, R.I., 12 years ago. He had lived in Warwick for the past few months.

He was a graduate of the former Hill Business College, Woonsocket, R.I., and the American Institute of Banking.

He was instrumental in establishing the Small Business Administrationís first district office in Providence. He held various positions, including acting district director, chief of the financial assistance division and bank relations officer.

He previously worked for the Rhode Island Hospital Trust National Bank and Costello Brothers.

He was active in many civic affairs in Worcester County, Mass. He was chairman of the rebuilding committee of St. Augustineís Church in Millville. He was chairman of the Millville Board of Assessors from1944 to 1964. He was a former deputy sheriff in Worcester County.

He was a member of Pope Pius 12th Council, Knights of Columbus, South Kingston, and a past faithful navigator, Gen. Stephen Moylan Assembly, Knights of Columbus, Fourth Degree, Woonsocket.

He was a member of the National Association of Retired Federal Employees, Rhode Island chapter.

His wife, Dorothy V. Parnell, died Dec. 7, 1987.

Besides his son, Mr. Parnell is survived by a daughter, Joanne Mongeon of Woonsocket; a sister, Elaine B. Parnell of North Smithfield; and eight grandchildren.

copyright © 2006-2007 Pamela Storm and Ron Filion. All rights reserved.