Alameda County Genealogy

Mirror copy created by permission of Nancy Pratt Melton from her Golden Nugget Library - Alameda County
This page is a mirror of http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~npmelton/oakchty.htm
Return to Alameda County Online Genealogy Databases


The Associated Charities

A Monthly Journal Devoted To The Philanthropic
Work Of The City Of Oakland

Mrs. S. C. Bourland, Editor.
418 Tenth Street, Rm 7, Oakland, California

[1896]

OFFICERS

Rev. Dr. B. S. Chapman, President

Mrs. C. H. Redington, Vice-President

M. J. Keller, Treasurer

Helen L. Kelly, Sec'y-Supt.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Rev. E. S. Chapman
Mrs. C. H. Redington
M. J. Keller

A J. Ralston
James A. Johnson

Mrs. D. S. Hirshberg
D.C. Brown

R. Wiand
Anson Barstow
Mrs. S. C. Bourland

RENEWED MEMBERSHIP

Mrs. C. W. Howard

Mrs. Remi Chabot

Mrs. C. S. Playter

Mrs. G. H. Playter
Mrs. P. L. Wheeler

NEW MEMBERS

Mrs. E. L. Hutchinson

Charles R. Root

Mrs. J. J. Scotchler

Mrs. J. M. Hinkle

DONATIONS

Mrs. F. B. Perkins
Mrs. F. M. Wertz

Mrs. Starkweather

M. K. Miller

Mrs. Gorrell
M. J. Keller

First Presbyterian Church

The First Presbyterian Church of Oakland is the largest of its denomination west of the Rocky Mountains. It has a seating capacity of 1600 and a membership of 1200. The building is not only commodious and comfortable in arrangement, but also beautiful in finish and furnishings -- a variable column in color -- someone has rightly said.

Inspiring and deeply interested congregations thronged the auditorium twice a Sabbath throughout the year, is specially in the evening, and at least fifty per cent, of the attendants have been men.

These congregations have been drawn, not by sensational methods, but by the earnest eloquence of the pasture Rev. Dr. Coyle, backed by his upright christian character and life in the community. The fine music is also a helpful adjunct.

This church supports two missions, Bethany and Telegraph; both are in a flourishing condition and doing good work in their respective localities.

A Chinese school is also very efficiently carried on, thus bringing a small portion of the foreign mission work with in its own doors.

The Order of Deaconesses was instituted last year as an experiment, and the results have justified the expectations of the most sanguine. They report fifty families assisted with groceries, provisions and fuel and 462 articles of clothing were distributed; twenty classes of jelly were given out, meat and milk furnished to several families, besides medicines and sundries furnished to the sick. Over 1000 calls were made upon the sick, afflicted strangers and new members of the church.

The Board of Deacon's have extended relief to ten families and four single persons, those lightening the burden of those less fortunate.

The Treasurer of the Benevolent Fund is J. T. Gardiner.

Superintendent's Quarterly Report

During the month of March, the closing months of the woodyard, 143 men were sent from the central office; 137 of this number reported and were given work.

Two men given woodyard tickets at private houses reported at the yard.

Since March 23rd to the present time the following named persons have become members of the association, or their membership having been expired, renewed the same: W. W. Tucker, Mrs. Kate A. Buckley, Mrs. A. B. Nye, Mr. and Mrs. S. T. Alexander, Dr. G. E. Brinkerhoff, C. F. Leiding, Israel Lawton; Isaac L. Requa, Dr. R. O. Baldwin, Mrs. Charles Webb Howard, Mrs. Remi Chabot, Miss C. S. Playter, Miss Grace H. Playter, Mrs. P. L. Wheeler, Mrs. P. L. Hutchinson, Charles R. Root, and Mrs. J. J. Scotchler. Helen L. Kelly, Superintendent.
 
Oakland Benevolent Society, Mrs. C. H. Redington, Delegate.
Lyon Relief Corps, Mrs. J. Hamelin, Delegate. 
Chabot Home, Mrs. J. W. Shanklin, Delegate.
Board of Deacons, Presbyterian Church, W. P. Wheeler, Delegate.
First Universalist Church, Mrs. L. N. Shaw, Delegate.
Appomattox Relief Corps, No. 5, Amy Elroy, Delegate.
Young Ladies' Benevolent Society, Mrs. Teeple, Delegate.
First M. E. Church, Mrs. J. M. Hinkle, Delegate.
West Oakland Home, Mrs. J.P. Ames, Delegate.
Ladies' Aid Society, English Lutheran Church, Mrs. H. Rief, Delegate.

MEMBERS OF THE ASSOCIATED CHARITIES

Mrs. J. C. Ainsworth
S. T. Alexander
Mrs. S. T. Alexander
R. Abbey
Dr. G. E. Brinkerhoff
H. W. Baxter
Mrs. H. W. Baxter
Mrs. K. A. Bulkley
T. L. Barker
Mrs. F. A. Bashford
W. J. Bowman
H. Bendel
Mrs. C. H. Banning
Mrs. W. O. Buckland
Rev. A. M. Bradley
Mrs. J. A. Benton
Edward Booth
Mrs. Edward Booth
James L. Barker
John L. Bromley
Mrs. H. K. Belden
Miss Ella Berger
B. R. Banning
Mrs. S. C. Borland
D.C. Brown
Anson Barstow
Dr. R. O. Baldwin
Mrs. R. Chabot
Mrs. W. H. Cook
Mrs. H. Wetherbee
Dr. W. J. Wilcox
Charles R. Root

Miss C. E. Hawley
Mrs. D. S. Hirshberg
Frank C. Jordan
James A. Johnson
Kahn Bros.
Dr. H. E. Knox
Mrs. R. W. Kirkham
W. H. Knight
M. J. Keller
Mrs. Helen L. Kelly
Dr. William F. Lewis
C. F. Leiding
N. W. Leitch
Dr. Walter F. Lewis
Fred W. Laufer
J. A. Leighton
Israel Lawton
James Maclise
H. H. Morgan
John Mitchell
Mrs. Albert Miller 
James K. Moffitt
Mrs. F. M. Montgomery
Mrs. E. S. Merriam
Dr. R. W. Meek
Mrs. A. B. Nye
Judge S. G. Nye
Mrs. C. Niemann
H. Nash
Mrs. R. A. Wellman
Mrs. D. H. Ward
R. Wiand

Mrs. W. W. Crane
P. V. Chamberlin
John Crellin
Mrs. John Crellin
Mrs. J. M. Cushing
D. Edward Collins
Rev. E. S. Chapman
Mrs. L. P. Dam
William de Fremery
Mrs. W. de Fremery
Ms. G. H. de Fremery
George A. J. Davis
B. C. Dick
Mrs. B. C. Dick
J. Cal. Ewing
Henry Evers
Mrs. F. M. Farwell
Mrs. John Fearn
Mrs. J. A. Folger
Mrs. M. A. Farquhar
Mrs. E. C. Farnham
Dr. S. M. Freeland
George E. Fairchilds
Rabbi M. Friedlander
E. Higgins
Mrs. E. Higgins
Mrs. C. W. Howard
Mrs. M. T. Holcomb
Mrs. E. C. Hager
Woman's Guild, No. 3
Mrs. J. J. Scotchlar
M.W. Wood

Hugh Hamilton
Frank C. Howe
Miss A. L. Hawley
Mrs. J. M. Kinkle
Mrs. E. L. Hutchinson
Neighborhood Club
Mrs. O. S. Orrick
Mrs. J. W. Percy
J. W. Phillips
Miss C. S. Playter
Miss G. H. Playter
W. S. Phelan
Miss G. B. Playter
Isaac Requa
C. H. Redington
Mrs. C. H. Redington
A. J. Ralston
Miss L. N. Shaw
Mrs. A. B. Sargent
Dr. Fred J. Saxe
Capt. A. Simpson
Thomas Smith
Mrs. F. S. Stratton
H. O. Trowbridge
James P. Taylor
W. W. Tucker
Miss A. S. Wilcox
Mrs. P. L. Wheeler
William P. Wheeler

ADVERTISEMENTS

P. Flynn, Dry Goods, Dress, Linings, 1117 and 1119 Broadway, between 12th and 13th streets.
Dr. W. B. Ludlow, Dentist, Union National Bank Building, 1103 Broadway.
Maison De La Mode, Millinery, 1067 Washington Street between 11th and 12th.
H. Peterson, high grade groceries, corner 10th and Center streets.
A Steffanoni, Jeweler & Optician, 1151 Broadway, Oakland, California.
The Women's Exchange, 557 12th Street.
Eiben & Nor, Grocer's, West Oakland, California.
Dressmaking Parlors, Mrs. W. W. Tucker & Mrs. A. E. Person, 535 Thirty-Third Street.
The Wonder, Millinery Stores.
5th Inítíy Regít, Band and Orchestra, The Only Military Band in Oakland, Organized in 1879 Oakland, California.
W. McBain, Leader and Manager, 217 Third Street.
C. L. Beretta, Secretary and Treasurer, 1232 Chestnut Street.
Central, Hairdressing Parlor, Mrs. Minnie C. Allen, Proprietor, Rooms 400 E. Levin and 412, Central Bank Building, 14th & Broadway.
M. J. Keller Company, Established 1879/Inc. 1890, tailoring, 1105, 1107 1109 Broadway, Oakland, California.
Printing, H. J. McKim, 466 ½ 13th Street, Oakland, California.
T. J. Clooney, wood, coal, hay & grain, corner 7th and Peralta streets, West Oakland, California.
Joyce's, James A. Joyce, 955,957, 959 Washington Street and 512 and 514 9th Street, Oakland, California.
Robinson & Boak, Buyer Insurance Agents, 956 Broadway, Oakland, California.
Woman's Exchange, Mesdames Caldwell & Bennett, 526 14th Street, Centennial Building.
Anson Barstow, K., grain, wood and coal, southeast corner 13th and Franklin streets, Oakland, California
 

Transcribed by Nancy Pratt Melton.



 

© 2008 Nancy Pratt Melton.